Cycling Advice

Yes, Brickworks is Pott Shrigley. Blaze Hill just before is a nice test but would have taken us slightly away from our target destination. Left at the bottom of Brickworks back down to Whaley Bridge for a coffee & teacake then up Long Hill and turn right at the top to go back down to the reservoir rather than down to Buxton.

Ah, ok. I’ve been trying to tick off the climbs in Simon Warren’s Greatest Climbs books so drove over, parked at Bollington and did Blaze Hill, Pyms Chair/Jenkin Chapel, then came back over the same road to do Brickworks. I hadn’t thought of Long Lane - is it a reasonable climb?

Training for Tour de Manc has started in earnest now. 85 miles from Warrington taking in Artists Lane (Alderley Edge); Brickworks; Long Hill & Goyt Valley route up to the Cat & Fiddle - just under 5,000 ft of climbing. Knackered this morning but it was a stunning ride.
On that too mate, looking forward to it, you done it before? Last year was excellent but tough. Was signed up for the 125 but on the 100 now.

Ah, ok. I’ve been trying to tick off the climbs in Simon Warren’s Greatest Climbs books so drove over, parked at Bollington and did Blaze Hill, Pyms Chair/Jenkin Chapel, then came back over the same road to do Brickworks. I hadn’t thought of Long Lane - is it a reasonable climb?
Some of those are on the cheshire 100 I did last year if I remember rightly, one of them was brutal, caught me right out and had to take a breather on it.

Some of those are on the cheshire 100 I did last year if I remember rightly, one of them was brutal, caught me right out and had to take a breather on it.

Nice. Of those 3, Pym Chair is the toughest one. At my level of fitness it’s the sort of climb I can manage as part of a shorter ride overall, but within a proper long ride, I think (know) I would struggle. I’ve got a 100km route around Cheshire, but the toughest climb on that one is Frodsham hill, which is do-able.

@Tommy_Catons_Perm Yep, that book and it’s sequel have been a godsend - I’ve got the NW England edition too. Around Macclesfield Forest there are some good climbs too.
The one I’ve got my eye on next, which Warren rates 10/10, is in Wales, from Llanymawddwy, over to Lake Bala (Hellfire Pass is the English name for it!)

The ones I’ve had to stop on so far: Hardknott Pass, Park Rash, and Mytholm Steeps near Hebden Bridge.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say Long Hill was challenging, more of a steady incline but it just keeps going for pretty much 5 miles - I PB'd it in just under 23 mins. It's classified as a Cat 3 climb. The scenery is stunning as the valley drops away to your right down to the reservoir.

On that too mate, looking forward to it, you done it before? Last year was excellent but tough. Was signed up for the 125 but on the 100 now.

Not done it before. Distance doesn't worry me but 6,700 ft is going to make a case of just finishing rather than rode for a time. I know what's in store across Werneth Low, Saddleworth & Norden just haven't ridden any of the stuff over Bury & Bolton way. If it goes ahead, you'll recognise us as the blue & pink tops stick out like a sore thumb!

Blaze Hill can catch a few out as it's pretty steep at the bottom but levels out before kicking on at the end. I reckon the hill you are referring to is Lamaload, which is just after Blaze Hill. Not that long but it pretty much levels the field for all but the best. You can be riding along nicely by the reservoir then do a right turn to be faced by a dozen or so riders struggling to cope with the quick change of incline - if you're in the wrong gear at the bottom of this I'm afraid you're walking!

Nice. Of those 3, Pym Chair is the toughest one. At my level of fitness it’s the sort of climb I can manage as part of a shorter ride overall, but within a proper long ride, I think (know) I would struggle. I’ve got a 100km route around Cheshire, but the toughest climb on that one is Frodsham hill, which is do-able.

@Tommy_Catons_Perm Yep, that book and it’s sequel have been a godsend - I’ve got the NW England edition too. Around Macclesfield Forest there are some good climbs too.
The one I’ve got my eye on next, which Warren rates 10/10, is in Wales, from Llanymawddwy, over to Lake Bala (Hellfire Pass is the English name for it!)

The ones I’ve had to stop on so far: Hardknott Pass, Park Rash, and Mytholm Steeps near Hebden Bridge.

Frodsham Hill is not that far from home for me. Tend to do this most times we are heading out that way. Pretty good for hill training as we sometimes do a few loops for good measure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.