Kalidou Koulibaly

People have questioned his age, but i would say he has a good 3-4 seasons at the top. Since Kompany left, we have lacked that presence, that leadership that a team needs to dig results out in certain games when you are struggling and under the cosh. The premier league and Champions league competitions are a good old slog and you need a presence on the field at the back to generate that confidence throughout the team. Every time i have seen Koulibaly for Napoli, particularly in the big games v Liverpool and PSG he has exuded confidence throughout the team with his overall presence and calmness at the back (on and off the ball).

When Van Dijk plays at the back for Liverpool, as Gary Neville has said on a few occasions, he makes them feel "safe". It is his overall presence on a football field which provides a platform for the rest of the players. There was a lot of fans questioning Kompany in our last season saying he was too slow to play in the big matches for us, but we look back now and we would have never won the domestic treble without him. His presence, organisation and leadership was invaluable. You just can't put a price on it.

This is what we need at City, we need a world class Centre back alongside Aymeric Laporte who makes us feel "safe". Koulibaly is a commanding presence, an organiser, a leader. I am not saying he will come here and be Maldini or Baresi instantly, but he will provide something that we lacked throughout the season.

I watched Serie A regularly when Sarri was manager of Napoli, particularly Napoli because they were absolutely superb to watch. I have loved Koulibaly ever since, just oozed class in that side. Sarri has similar methods to Pep, you put Koulibaly in a team under Pep's tutelage and i think he will turn out a very special player for us.

He is the one signing i want this season. He is the statement signing that we need that will make other teams stand up and take note. I hope we try and get this done for 65m up front with 10-15m add ons (i.e. for winning CL etc).

I like Ake, and I think he could prove to be a very good signing. But isn't he primarily a left sided CB?
I'd like a right sided Laporte... is that really asking for too much?

The only CBs at Laportes level or above would be Koulibaly, Skriniar or Ruben Dias. Diego Carlos could work too. But there arent’t that many options and we need a new right-footed CB. I would like Koulibaly but how can Napolis president expect anyone to pay 90m for him? Never in a million years. With this money we want top performances in the future and he’s 30 next year. It’s just too much money. I fear this deal is off.

The only CBs at Laportes level or above would be Koulibaly, Skriniar or Ruben Dias. Diego Carlos could work too. But there arent’t that many options and we need a new right-footed CB. I would like Koulibaly but how can Napolis president expect anyone to pay 90m for him? Never in a million years. With this money we want top performances in the future and he’s 30 next year. It’s just too much money. I fear this deal is off.

Koulibaly is still playing in the CL

No Skriniar please... The guy is so bad in a system where he is expected to use his agility and pace (hint: he doesn't have either).

He is fine in Serie A in teams which play slow tactical games but he would be a disaster here I fear.

No Skriniar please... The guy is so bad in a system where he is expected to use his agility and pace (hint: he doesn't have either).

He is fine in Serie A in teams which play slow tactical games but he would be a disaster here I fear.
Koulibaly shut out Mane, Salah and Firminho in the CL, he has the experience and ability to cope in the PL.

Maybe they don't want to sell him?

Joel Mario and Thiago Silva.

Thiago would have been a good alternative to Ake because he's free and can provide extra cover but he's too old to be relied on as a primary option. Injuries slowly catching up to him and I don't think he can play twice a week any more.

Joel Mario? Assuming this is an autocorrect version of Matip (and not one of your finds) then I've got the same problem with him. Liverpool's second best defender when he can stay fit but that just doesn't seem to be often enough.

Assuming actual ability is a given, injury resistance should be near the top of our list of priorities. It's cost us quite a bit over the years and, although you can't guarantee someone will stay fit, we should avoid those who have a history.

Don't see this happening. He loves Napoli and Di Laurentiis is a prized wazzock who has a valuation for him we won't ever meet. Can see it rumbling on until the end of the transfer window and dying on the final day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.