Crazy Explosion at Beirut Port (video)

Bukit Lawang! Had a great day tubing down the river there!

Haha likewise, that was the river that started to rise very rapidly during the mother of all storms. I really should have been bricking it, everyone else was. We were all sheltering in a bar and the river got about a foot below it before it stopped, me leaning out watching bolts of lightning decimate trees just over the other side of it.

Mad thing is once the storm passed, within half hour other than the river still being slightly swollen with lots of debris in it...you really would not have known it had even rained. It was 11 at night and it still dried up almost instantly. What an Island Sumatra is.

Haha likewise, that was the river that started to rise very rapidly during the mother of all storms. I really should have been bricking it, everyone else was. We were all sheltering in a bar and the river got about a foot below it before it stopped, me leaning out watching bolts of lightning decimate trees just over the other side of it.

Mad thing is once the storm passed, within half hour other than the river still being slightly swollen with lots of debris in it...you really would not have known it had even rained. It was 11 at night and it still dried up almost instantly. What an Island Sumatra is.
There was a restaurant there that we dived and jumped off into that river. Even from the rooftop. Did you do that?

Bit more than crap summers.

Anything that dumps that much ash will massively affect the climate, this will result in a significant loss of spiecies. Mankind being resourceful would survive but worst case estimates are up to 5billlion human lives would be lost mostly through starvation.

Extinction level events don't have to mean the extinction of all living things.
Errr ... Yes they do.
But I degress. Yes it would be a crapfest

There was a restaurant there that we dived and jumped off into that river. Even from the rooftop. Did you do that?

Many did, I chickened out of that, we also had an incident of the Orangs getting across the river by using that boat on a pulley, apparently happens quite often and causes a stir in the village.

Hard old walk to where they hang out, obviously very wet and muddy and uphill.

Needless to say in nearly 3 months there, never saw a Sumatran Tiger, though went to a couple of villages where they happened to have seen one yesterday. Encountered some rather large monitor lizards and a couple of humungous snakes, saw those flying foxes. Fell pissed into a bush full of those massive spiders and somehow came out unscathed. Never did find out whether they were poisonous. Stayed in a Batak style bungalow owned by an absolutely nutty Indian Indonesian on Toba who spoke perfect English and insisted on getting me and the bird rat arsed every night.

I think you have to have a screw loose to travel that Island and if you have you will probably enjoy it. I am not sure what it says about me but I loved every minute even when on several occasions there I should have been very concerned indeed. Most of the people you bumped into there were interesting needless to say.

I got a bus from Medan to Bukkitingi that turned out to be a bus to Bandar Aceh. I was blissfully ignorant of this until we were nearly there. Took a week to get to where I had set out for.

Errr ... Yes they do.
But I degress. Yes it would be a crapfest
ELE is a term that is used to describe an event that would cause a significant loss of species. Ie. a mass extinction. There have been five big mass extinctions and many smaller ones. Clearly not all species are wiped out in such events. VEI 8 eruptions are considered to be a possible cause of ELEs in a worst case scenario. Luckily for us they are pretty rear events.

Many did, I chickened out of that, we also had an incident of the Orangs getting across the river by using that boat on a pulley, apparently happens quite often and causes a stir in the village.

Hard old walk to where they hang out, obviously very wet and muddy and uphill.

Needless to say in nearly 3 months there, never saw a Sumatran Tiger, though went to a couple of villages where they happened to have seen one yesterday. Encountered some rather large monitor lizards and a couple of humungous snakes, saw those flying foxes. Fell pissed into a bush full of those massive spiders and somehow came out unscathed. Never did find out whether they were poisonous. Stayed in a Batak style bungalow owned by an absolutely nutty Indian Indonesian on Toba who spoke perfect English and insisted on getting me and the bird rat arsed every night.

I think you have to have a screw loose to travel that Island and if you have you will probably enjoy it. I am not sure what it says about me but I loved every minute even when on several occasions there I should have been very concerned indeed. Most of the people you bumped into there were interesting needless to say.

I got a bus from Medan to Bukkitingi that turned out to be a bus to Bandar Aceh. I was blissfully ignorant of this until we were nearly there. Took a week to get to where I had set out for.
Yes great times indeed. We didn't spend as long in Sumatra as you. Got a ferry, more like a speed boat, to Dumai from Singapore. Having come thru Malaysia and Thailand.

Yes great times indeed. We didn't spend as long in Sumatra as you. Got a ferry, more like a speed boat, to Dumai from Singapore. Having come thru Malaysia and Thailand.

We did much the same with Thailand and Malaysia and caught the hydrofoil from Penang. It was apparently very quick and would take under 3 hrs to cross. Apart from it didnt. It took about 8hrs at about the same speed as a canal boat. This was apparently because the engines were "kaput, German engines very bad". Was like a floating greenhouse which as you can imagine was not the ideal thing to float across the Indian Ocean inside.

Upon arrival after a protracted immigration process that involved a man bringing a desk a chair and a sun brolly to the quayside, one item at a time from a building a few hundred yards away, finally re-emerging with his stamp and ink pad where upon everyone was passport stamped and admitted to Indonesia. The aircon bus that I had paid extra for to transfer us to the guest house was waiting, or at least an old rickety bus with the windows rusted open was (Indonesian Air con) apparently.

It all went from there really and everyday in the place was bat shit crazy in some way or another.

Man I been watching some shockwave videos lately as they fascinate me, but shit that one is bad! I'm shocked the death count isn't higher to be honest
I think the current death toll is just the tip of the iceberg. I’d be amazed if it stays anywhere near that figure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.