City fans writing John Stones off too early?

Whilst I agree with some of what you said just look at some of the recent photos of him whilst on the pitch, bags under his eyes. Personally, I think he’s drinking too much which would have been fine 10 years ago but nowadays he’s got no chance.

There’s been a fair bit of media speculation about who he and his new wag enjoy spending time with. Whilst I’d like to ignore them as we all know what the papers are like, I can’t help but think there’s something in it.

Just a couple of thoughts on this.
I have read on here a few times that Stones is a piss head but I struggle with it. The players diets are monitored and tested constantly by the Club. Any alcohol in his bloodstream would be picked up immediately and I’m fairly certain would not be tolerated.

I still think Stones is a great footballer but feel that his recent injury history and issues in his personal life have affected his confidence. If we can get his head sorted out he can be a great player for us.

I guess with the news about Garcia wanting to leave we either need to fix Stones or go back into the transfer market (or maybe both).

terrified of himself, sadly

Sadly this rings true. When there's a close up of him he looks nervy and its shown in his performances. I hope he can get his confidence back, have a good run of games and stay injury free. There's still a great player in there, hopefully he can get his career back on track with us.

Sadly this rings true. When there's a close up of him he looks nervy and its shown in his performances. I hope he can get his confidence back, have a good run of games and stay injury free. There's still a great player in there, hopefully he can get his career back on track with us.
Probably expecting that prick Walker to whack him on the back of the head as usual.

I'm a massive Stones fan and have defended him vehemently often against some of our fans, but there's a time when the writing starts to appear on the wall and our wishful thinking is more wishful than likely.

I wish we could give him another chance, but the standard is too high for us and the waiting game for him to come good or stay fit for any real length of time again has cost us heavily over the past 2 seasons.

He hasn't been anywhere near a consistent level of what he showed us the first part of the Centurions season since he was injured that same season.

He's been injured quite a bit, and every time Pep gives him a chance he makes some massive errors or gets injured.

He comes across highly likable and I was sure he and Laporte were going to be our pairing for years to come, but I've come around to the idea that we can't take that chance given how Pep has not played him.

This is the Pep that talked about Stones in the highest light....okay we know Pep loves press hyperbole in inappropriate situations, but I believe he meant it.

The cut throat nature of sport can really take a toll on players, particularly those who may be more sensitive (which can be a great quality as well) and/or going through traumatic experiences that are hard to cope with. We only know so much about Stones' "personal issues" with we are told was his girlfriend but that sounds simplistic as there are so many layers to humans and how they respond to what they are experiencing and what they have already experienced.

In the end, I'd love for him to stay, but I cannot see how that will work for next season given he wants to start regularly. Would he be open to a loan for a season and then see how that goes?

I'd like that, but something tells me he may want to just move on.

It may be worth giving him a chance especially if there are no takers in a turbulent market.
I just think Peps gone off him and generally that means the end but if he gets stuck in and shows he can still do it, maybe he can be useful.

It may be worth giving him a chance especially if there are no takers in a turbulent market.
I just think Peps gone off him and generally that means the end but if he gets stuck in and shows he can still do it, maybe he can be useful.
I think like that about old paint brushes. But I always seem to buy new ones when the decorating comes around.

I honestly thought Stones would be a world class player for us but sadly he just doesn't seem to have the mental strength for the highest level. This is what makes the very top players stand out. The best players thrive on extreme pressure and this is a very rare attribute in any walk of life. The bottom line is he has not really improved much since we bought him. I wish him well in his future career and hope he sorts his personal problems out.

I'm certain Arsenal and perhaps Chelsea would take a chance on him as their defences are woefully incompetent compared to even ours. Everton would love to take him but I doubt he would go back there right now.

The problem is Arsenal and Chelsea, where he'd likely prefer to go, would likely want him for a bargain basement fee. Only way I sell for under his current value is where we get a lot of extra money after he plays a certain number of league games, and perhaps international caps, if the club makes CL, or those sorts of add ons

Not certain how this will all pan out.

How will he get a chance if we sign another CB, especially if it's Koulibaly?

I will say I assume we sell the Zinch, but that means more of Cancelo at left back anyway, who also wants more game time, so some game time will be lost there for Ake.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.