Cycling Advice

I agree. Cyclists have a duty to other road users too. However, the number of times we get dog's abuse from motorists for riding 2 abreast is unreal. Usually screaming to follow the highway code and ride single file when the daft fuckers don't even know what the highway code advises. I've become a bit of angry t**t with these kinds of people of late and that's not my nature.
I know two abreast is for protection and is advised so that’s fair enough.

Three abreast and purposefully blocking the road is unacceptable.

All I ask is cyclists give an opportunity to overtake when there’s a bit of width in the road or little traffic the other way.

Last night they didn’t.

I agree. Cyclists have a duty to other road users too. However, the number of times we get dog's abuse from motorists for riding 2 abreast is unreal. Usually screaming to follow the highway code and ride single file when the daft fuckers don't even know what the highway code advises. I've become a bit of angry t**t with these kinds of people of late and that's not my nature.

Agree: you should not feel like you have to be hard over to the left all the time on a bike. Its dangerous.

I know two abreast is for protection and is advised so that’s fair enough.

Three abreast and purposefully blocking the road is unacceptable.

All I ask is cyclists give an opportunity to overtake when there’s a bit of width in the road or little traffic the other way.

Last night they didn’t.

I've overtaken cyclists doing this and not so politely requested that they refrain from this style of riding.

I keep getting fizzy fingers when riding.

My handle bars are straight so there no other riding position I can take and after about half an hour i get pins and needles and by the end I can’t feel my hands.

Anyone else have this problem or know how to combat it? I think I need to strengthen my forearms, I also think it’s just positioning of my hands of the handlebars - but what position’s best?

You need a more relaxed position mate so try a spacer or 2 and a decent pair of gloves with padding in the right places should do the trick.

Agree: you should not feel like you have to be hard over to the left all the time on a bike. Its dangerous.
It's more than 'dangerous', G, it can be fuckin' life threatening. I am forever telling Mrs Ewing to get from the middle of the road and into the gutter, but the variable 'levels' encountered riding a half yard from the gutter can be disastrous - grids sitting several inches below the general level of the road, uneven stretches of tarmac, all the shit of the world swept into the kerb. The simple answer is cycle lanes that have a much better surface than we fietsers encounter on main roads. And make sure that motorists are not allowed to park in them!

It's more than 'dangerous', G, it can be fuckin' life threatening. I am forever telling Mrs Ewing to get from the middle of the road and into the gutter, but the variable 'levels' encountered riding a half yard from the gutter can be disastrous - grids sitting several inches below the general level of the road, uneven stretches of tarmac, all the shit of the world swept into the kerb. The simple answer is cycle lanes that have a much better surface than we fietsers encounter on main roads. And make sure that motorists are not allowed to park in them!

Good luck with that. I rarely venture into a cycle lane because of the amount of crap usually found there. Guaranteed puncture waiting to happen.

I was lucky enough to be able to cycle in Switzerland last year. It's like riding on a snooker table the surfaces are that good.

Good luck with that. I rarely venture into a cycle lane because of the amount of crap usually found there. Guaranteed puncture waiting to happen.

I was lucky enough to be able to cycle in Switzerland last year. It's like riding on a snooker table the surfaces are that good.

We like to get to Holland every year - haven't been this year - but it's a cycling paradise. I have a cycling app for plotting routes and it was updated last year so that you can plot a route where the paths have had a winter grit treatment. And the no entry signs always seem to have 'Except cycles' tagged on the underneath.

Did Lee Quarry MTB Trail yesterday, no the usual type i'm used to. Obviously as its an ex quarry, its just rocks and stones everywhere so its fucking tough and loads of bits where you could just fall of and probably break something pretty easily. I've no idea how these monsters that were passing us on the rocky inclines actually even bike up there, hardly managed to stay on my bike much on the inclines. Tough work, but still fun. Not as rewarding as Grizedale, but closer to get to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.