Non petrol head car chat

Finally moving on from my VW Tiguan...had it for 4 years...PCP deal ended mid lockdown but managed to get an extension.

Test drove a Volvo XC40 on Saturday...think im gonna go for it...its beaut!!

I also have a 1974 VW Camper which had been my pride and joy for years...but cant really get out and go camping at the minute :-(
XC40 looks quite nice, i was looking at the XC60 for ages but was a bit underwhelmed with the space when i sat inside one im comparison to what i already have. But i think the XC40 is pretty close to a Tiguan.

It's mad how much the Campers sell for, especially those split-screen ones.

Looking at a FIAT Croma diesel - I don't even want a diesel - its not even a FIAT really - the floor pan is SAAB they ignitions is next to the handbrake................somebody please talk me down and walk me away from the edge.....................

XC40 looks quite nice, i was looking at the XC60 for ages but was a bit underwhelmed with the space when i sat inside one im comparison to what i already have. But i think the XC40 is pretty close to a Tiguan.

Aye the 60 is a good bit more expensive and bigger in size....i just dont need it, or the expense.

This will be my first automatic...finally talked the Mrs into driving one

There is a real knock on to that. One is any old camper is now stupid money - old Commers, Austin J4's. Sherpa's and Bedford CF's and for those less brave the later rear engined water cooled rear engined jobbies.

All the surfers want the FWD front engined later VW's which also command huge money.

Looking at a FIAT Croma diesel - I don't even want a diesel - its not even a FIAT really - the floor pan is SAAB they ignitions is next to the handbrake................somebody please talk me down and walk me away from the edge.....................

A friend is an RAC man and previous senior mechanic with Audi (with his own sideline mechanic business) and he consistently says unless you are doing at least 20k miles a year DO NOT buy a diesel.....as a repair mechanic, diesels keep him in business.
The next few years will see big changes with diesel cars....and if buying new, and especially if on PCH, diesels have poor value retention....as wil manual cars.....so automatic petrol cars (and hybrid...moreso nonplugin/self charging hybrids) eill have great resale value and will bring the cost of your PCH down.

A friend is an RAC man and previous senior mechanic with Audi (with his own sideline mechanic business) and he consistently says unless you are doing at least 20k miles a year DO NOT buy a diesel.....as a repair mechanic, diesels keep him in business.
The next few years will see big changes with diesel cars....and if buying new, and especially if on PCH, diesels have poor value retention....as wil manual cars.....so automatic petrol cars (and hybrid...moreso nonplugin/self charging hybrids) eill have great resale value and will bring the cost of your PCH down.

Thanks for the advice but I would be paying peanuts for a high miler...............retained value would be the least of my worries ha ha ha

Aye the 60 is a good bit more expensive and bigger in size....i just dont need it, or the expense.
You won't regret it if it's a modern auto. Many of us old gits spent the first 20 or so years of our driving knowing that an auto would be a pain in the arse unless it was linked to a nice big engine. But modern autos, with 6 or more gears, and no overdrive failing to engage half the time are a joy to drive. Especially if you spend a lot of time pissing about between 1st and 2nd in stop-go traffic. Even if you get something with flappy-paddles you'll only mess with them for a day or so until the novelty wears off.
A 1987 Volvo 740 with nowhere near enough power to shift the heavy bastard coupled to a 3 speed + o/d auto box may have coloured my opinions of earlier automatics.

Sorry i got my numbers wrong last night, i actually meant i was looking at the 90 which is even bigger!

The auto on the volvo is good, and its pretty comfortable to drive. I think once you guys start using the auto, you won't be able to go back to the manual.

IIRC, the Telegraph had the Croma in the top 10 worst Italian cars ever made. DON'T DO IT :D

There is a real knock on to that. One is any old camper is now stupid money - old Commers, Austin J4's. Sherpa's and Bedford CF's and for those less brave the later rear engined water cooled rear engined jobbies.

All the surfers want the FWD front engined later VW's which also command huge money.
One of the neighbours a bit further down on my street has an old 70s Toyota Hiace Camper. It's seen better days though,but i think they're going for that look (no idea why) as they have a sticker in the window that says "i'm not an abandoned car".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.