A level results

B B

blueinsa

Just watched 3 pupils open results live on sky. One girl with a beaming smile declaring to the camera how happy she is with her "F" as it gets her into University.

WTF? Is this where we are at now in society that a "F" is seen as a success and pass and makes someone suitable to go into a degree course?

University is now a business that will take anyone so long as they get their money.

How are they graded nowadays?

Didnt Gove change how exams were graded and they are different from the old system?

Just watched 3 pupils open results live on sky. One girl with a beaming smile declaring to the camera how happy she is with her "F" as it gets her into University.

WTF? Is this where we are at now in society that a "F" is seen as a success and pass and makes someone suitable to go into a degree course?

University is now a business that will take anyone so long as they get their money.
There are a lot of universities, almost exclusively those at the lower end of league tables, that will grant most students unconditional offers - upon the proviso that they firm their offer. That means that people can get into places like Bolton with grades like F. Crazy when you think about it.

At the other end, there is also bloating with higher performing universities. For example, the grade requirements to study History at Oxford, York, Manchester, Birmingham etc are all three As.

How are they graded nowadays?

Didnt Gove change how exams were graded and they are different from the old system?
There was a change when I was in the system (2015-17), where the vast majority of A Levels became assesses with one set of exams (and some coursework) at the end of the two years. Before that, most subjects were modular with the AS year results also counting towards the final grade.

If you are getting an F at this stage in your education you are clearly going to struggle in any sort of degree course and i would suggest you don't have the aptitude or work ethic to complete one successfully. No way should any University be accepting a grade like that.

Thanks to New Labour, anybody can get in to Uni. It's just a new economy which devalues a degree and raises false expectations for millennials installing a self entitled attitude once they "graduate".

I'd say doing an MA is now probably the equivalent of somebody pre 90s doing a degree.

There are a lot of universities, almost exclusively those at the lower end of league tables, that will grant most students unconditional offers - upon the proviso that they firm their offer. That means that people can get into places like Bolton with grades like F. Crazy when you think about it.

At the other end, there is also bloating with higher performing universities. For example, the grade requirements to study History at Oxford, York, Manchester, Birmingham etc are all three As.
Imagine abolishing tuition fees for places like that.

As someone who never went to Uni because im from a generation where only the most gifted went, id be interested to hear what those of us with degrees and up think about being in the job market against people with similar qualifications they feel they have not had to work for in the same way they did?

I think one of the key elements here is that its actually very much a buyers market when it comes to Uni places this year. The number of international students taking up places will obviously have collapsed so the grade requirements from Universities will have had to be lowered as well to try to fill as many places as possible.

I don't think my life has been any worse for going to uni. I was quite young and naive and to be honest was never really serious about going but was advised that it would be the best option due to the 2009 financial situation. It basically kept me out of the job centre for a few years.

I was one of the last years to pay a lower fee but still find myself with a debt disproportionate to what I feel I got from it all. I do sometimes wonder if I would have been better off building up working experience for that few years but I don't really regret my choice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.