A level results

I was surprised that only 300k were waiting on results today, thought it would have been more than double that figure.

There are a lot of universities, almost exclusively those at the lower end of league tables, that will grant most students unconditional offers - upon the proviso that they firm their offer. That means that people can get into places like Bolton with grades like F. Crazy when you think about it.

At the other end, there is also bloating with higher performing universities. For example, the grade requirements to study History at Oxford, York, Manchester, Birmingham etc are all three As.

There's always been "bloating" as you call it for subjects like History at Oxford/ Cambridge. Durham and Bristol are the same. It's hard to get into and hard to pass with a decent degree. As it should be. University shouldn't be easy to get into, nor should an F give you enough to enter.

Choosing history is on the decline though, it's probably too hard for most of today's influencers/ social media whores. Especially as you need ABB at best to get even a glance let alone a place.

Still, good luck to them. Uni is a fun place, wherever they are.

There's always been "bloating" as you call it for subjects like History at Oxford/ Cambridge. Durham and Bristol are the same. It's hard to get into and hard to pass with a decent degree. As it should be. University shouldn't be easy to get into, nor should an F give you enough to enter.

Choosing history is on the decline though, it's probably too hard for most of today's influencers/ social media whores. Especially as you need ABB at best to get even a glance let alone a place.

Still, good luck to them. Uni is a fun place, wherever they are.

I am aware. I have just graduated with a 2:1 in History from York, a top ten university for the subject. Annoyingly, I was half a mark away from a First Class. I also say that as someone who was rejected at the interview stage for Oxford.

What I meant by bloating is the complete parity in entry level. In my opinion, there should be some sort of scaling. For instance, Oxford would require one A* and so on.

I also never claimed that you should get into university with a F.
Not English then?
I didn't think there was anything wrong with using slang on Bluemoon.

I am aware. I have just graduated with a 2:1 in History from York, a top ten university for the subject. Annoyingly, I was half a mark away from a First Class. I also say that as someone who was rejected at the interview stage for Oxford.

What I meant by bloating is the complete parity in entry level. In my opinion, there should be some sort of scaling. For instance, Oxford would require one A* and so on.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with using slang on Bluemoon.

The threads about someone getting to Uni with an F.

Congrats on the 2:1.

What are you doing next? Still more education? Or stepping away altogether? What did you do your final thesis on?

I noticed the difference the BBC had in reporting this. When the same thing happened here they went in with tackity boots on the SNP. Fast forward to their beloved Tories in the same boat and, fuck me, it's not as vitriolic. Shower of bastards who used it to attack the whole gov up here, but, Boris the racists mob do the same and it's not as bad. I wonder what our tartan Tory bastards have to say today. Utter forelock tugging wankers that they are.

It won't be long before employers and even unis make their regular complaint that students are coming to them needing to be trained/educated by them in the stuff they should already know.
I findmm

Ignore. All mixed up. I got a Z in computing.

Last edited:
Grade inflation has become a real issue in the Russell Group Universities, making it very difficult to distinguish between the very best students and those that would have previously not made the cut.
It’s by no means the fault of the students, but rather politicians and the societal shift which requires everyone to be successful academically, rather than realising at a much earlier stage, probably before the age of 16, that some people are better suited to a vocational route.
It’s absolutely true that Universities are now just a business and that for people to leave without a good qualification is seen as unacceptable. When it comes to overseas students where they have paid significant sums of money, they expect to be given the very highest grades. I have seen this first hand after being a referee for a PhD thesis for a foreign student which was very poor quality and required major corrections throughout, but they were still awarded the PhD, even after making a complete mess of their viva.

Last edited:
It won't be long before employers and even unis make their regular complaint that students are coming to them needing to be trained/educated by them in the stuff they should already know.
I findmm
Sorry Alex I am having the proverbial 'mare.
I just wanted to say well done and hard luck in equal measures.
I am sure that being so close to a A will be featured in any references from the Uni.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.