Home Brewing Wine

mosssideblue

Moved house in Feb and inherited several established fruit trees (plums, damsons, pears & apples).

We have had bumper crops on most and have harvested already, over 40 kilos of damsons, with similar yields of plums still to be picked.

Thought I would ressurect winemaking, something I hadn't done for over 30 years and have just embarked on making 5 gals of plum wine.

Would really appreciate any good recipes, tips and experiences anyone else has in this hobby.

My brother in law does beer and wine. He got all his tips from Youtube as there are some excellent "how to do" on there. He also got/ still gets a lot of his brewing gear from ebay as it's a lot cheaper.

There might be something of use in here;

There might be something of use in here;

Thanks. Did a few searches before posting and found nothing

I have only brewed the kits which to be fair are bomb proof to make up. Tip the concentrate into a bucket and add water and the yeast and off you go. I still make wine as the higher quality ones only work out at circa £1.25 a bottle. Beaverdale Barola is a cracking entry level and will leave you speechless at the pound mark. Cabernet is also pleasing on the palate. Anyway I digress because a good pal of mine I have just hooked with called Costas who runs the local supermarkado next door to our gaff also brews his own raki and wine he calls Versatio coming in 1.5 litre bottles at 13.5% and we openly wept as we tasted from his sampler glass. But we wept more at his price of €3.5 euro a bottle equating to €1.75 a UK bottle. I asked him how he consistently imparts flavour into the mix and he said it was all down to his foot on approach when crushing the grape and that will do for me. A bottle of gods own from someone who actually grows and crushes has to surmount to anything our own supermarkets can impart.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.