Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

You are nuts if you think our downfall was due to FFP and reffing rather than our set up tonight.

Can’t blame UEFA. Nonsense.
We also should know that they will be trying to do is over at any point so playing into their hands is crazy.

We said it last season. The only way we can score and be confident it won’t be overturned is from 20 yards out and no question of offside

People keep repeating this but it is bollocks.

Lyon are the second best team in France, the had a disastrous managerial appointment in Sylvinio who dropped them down to 17th, but as soon as Garcia came in they surged back up the table and if the season hadn't been curtailed by covid, they'd have finished in the top 4 like they always do.

They beat Juventus a week ago and took PSG all the way to penalties a week before that.

They are a good side.

Maybe they are a bit better than 7th in a pub league suggests

But if we had concentrated on our own strengths rather than ludicrously worrying about combating a far inferior side, we’d have brushed them aside with ease

Whatever we think about team selection, at 1-1 VAR had a major impact on the game. How an "offside" player allowing the ball to go through his legs and then subsequently score is totally beyond me. UEFA only needed one opportunity to make sure we didn't progress and they got it. I'm not denying we weren't good but there's plenty on here who should look at themselves and their comments.
I've just got up. Watched the game on foreign channel and didn't watch any after match coverage, no interviews or analysis or any internet chat last night.
This morning i've read one match report before coming on this thread. First 4 pages are all 'Pep is shit' so i skip forward to see more of the same.

Now, last night i was fuming because i thought their second goal should never have stood simply because the player who dummied the ball looked a mile offside. I didn't see any var check for this. Then i saw the replay and fleetingly got a glimpse of a City defender crashing to the floor (again i've not seen a proper replay of this). Still no var.

I went to bed convinced we were robbed, tossed and turned all night thinking we were robbed and woke up this morning still thinking the same.

The way we panicked and kicked everything away in the first 20mins set the tone. Pep set the tone for that panic with the selection.

We'll be nowhere near again next season - the squad is miles off

You could argue the squad is miles off Bayern, but not Lyon. That's what is concerning.

We play our best when playing a quick tempo, and our front 3 closing down their defenders, like both goals against RM, that front 3 interchanging all the time one minute Jesus in the middle next left wing same with Sterling and Foden. It gives KDB passes as well as Bernie giving the midfield legs. So much energy and pace and movement. Than Pep scraps that and goes for a slow boring setup in the next game, Lyon. i can think of one team that we moan about playing their strongest 14 players for over two season now yet Pep wont play his strongest team 3 games in a row in a 3 match tournament !

Can’t blame UEFA. Nonsense.
We also should know that they will be trying to do is over at any point so playing into their hands is crazy.

We said it last season. The only way we can score and be confident it won’t be overturned is from 20 yards out and no question of offside

We lost because we played our most defensive side ever under this manager in a one off cup tie against the 7th best team in the French league.

Just listen to that crazy sentence, the craziest part is it’s entirely true.

Some very spoilt fans on here today - understandably- but Pep & the team only last year, won every domestic trophy. The year before that reached 100 points.

they got it wrong yesterday but the level of criticism is uncalled for. Pep must stay & oversee a slight rebuild & we go again.

I agree with you but please don’t use those last three words.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.