Kalidou Koulibaly

Mangala was a better player than the one we saw... for much of his time with us his confidence was shattered... no wonder he dithered. We paid him well but fucked his career.
He’s not alone in that regard. Often wish the owners would tell the manager, ‘tough, you’ve got him so use him’ and the managers relay a ‘support him’ message to the fans. God, I’m naive. :-(

Mangala was a better player than the one we saw... for much of his time with us his confidence was shattered... no wonder he dithered. We paid him well but fucked his career.

He wasn't though. Players like Mangala, Javi García, Garay and Fernando boss around here in the portuguese league and look amazing because they are playing against cones. Same applies to Alex Telles and Rúben Dias, which a lot of people here seem to fancy.

They are mid-tier players, great for sides like Valencia, Monaco or Everton. Not good enough for a team with real aspirations.

I think this is why people are somewhat clamouring for Upamecano. He played like one should in ‘City’s system’. No clue what choice the club will make but whatever it is, I’ll live with and support the lads the best I can.

Upamecano is the other end of the spectrum He has obvious potential and I wouldn't mind him being bought as a side project but he is still a raw kid and quite ready.

Every player gets less time in England than other continental leagues, but he has it upstairs and is used to playing under smart coaches, so in that regard I have fewer worries.

I will back him if he signs for us and I geniunely hope to be proven wrong

He’s played Champions League consistently for the last 5 years. Ake has no such experience and Garcia precious little; they were the prospective understudies when we began negotiations.

All three of our central defenders had nightmares the other night, against a moderate attack, and Stones couldn’t even get on the pitch ahead of a kid that wants to leave and a 35 year old converted midfielder. If Laporte goes down again, we need Ake to cover him, and Fernandinho’s days are rapidly coming to a close.

Upemecano had a fine game the other night but consistently gives fouls away in the Bundesliga (remember how we used to get punished from free kicks?) and when he does dive in and get turned, it makes Otamendi look composed.

It’s not my money, so I don’t care if it goes to De Laurentiis or RBL, but if the management think Koulibaly is their man, I’ll back him.
We’ve no choice! I’ll get behind anyone in a City shirt, no problem, but we are just discussing potential and possibilities.

I’ll even take Dunk if he can stop forwards, read the through ball, and defend a dead ball!!

We are literally naive, and I think it’s all coaching. We are ZONE ZONE ZONE about everything everywhere on the field, but allowing a rabbit to hang out between the CBs is criminal negligence, esp when you’re playing a high line, flat back four with full backs who lack the ability to NOT play people onside!!

I grew up with teenagers who understood this, but apparently RONDOs don’t teach this!

Need a defensive coach who actually knows how to defend! Our main form of defence is the “technical foul” in midfield, which means for half the game our midfielders are skating on thin ice and can’t make a tackle!

The first thing i want City to change for next season is that ridiculously high line we play. I always say that if the opposition hit a ball over the top or play a pass through the middle, if the defence are standing in a straight line and the opposition attacker times his run perfectly, one ball can take the whole defence out of the game leaving the attacker bearing down on goal.

I really do think we need to tweak our tactics as they were absolutely suicidal against Lyon and have been on a number of occasions this season. Liverpool don't play such a high line like us, i don't see why we need to do the same. At least have one or even 2 defenders sitting 5-10 yards behind to sweep up anything that comes through the middle or over the top of our defence.

I do think Koulibaly is a very capable defender and will improve us, but it is up to Pep to make a few tweaks and not make us look so susceptible to being counter attacked.

I don't mind the high line, but I HATE the offside trap & especially, dithering plodders in a high line, with a disorganised shit offside trap. It's the worst kind of lazy, dumb, suicidal fucking defending.

" Oh but we need to press the ball " yes we do, but it absolutely won't solve the problem, unless you play every week v mugs. They will ALL create at least one chance, v that shit.

Pace & awareness, in a high line, using offside purely to keep the oppo forwards from taking the piss, then dropping back & defending properly as the ball is kicked, yes, absolutely fine.

Mangala and Koulibaly are worlds apart in terms of ability to play out the back.

Not much in it. In the Barcelona game Koulibaly passed it for a corner and although was a solid performance against the greatest team in the world his passing still looked shaky

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.