Soccer Saturday Sackings

I've only seen him a bit. Any critisism I had of him I put down to nerves but seen as though he can string a sentence togther(an ex-City) I think he may grow into the role but it's not a hill I'm going to die on
He’s nervous as fuck unfortunately.

Micah is the opposite and whilst he’s unfortunately no Neville with his knowledge, he’s such a great personality.

So, if the new pundits are Richards, Wright and Morrison, they won’t be sacked ‘for good reason’ but if they’re replaced by Warnock, MacManaman and Gareth Barry they will be?
Well the latter will prove beyond doubt it is just because they‘d had enough of their performance.

He’s nervous as fuck unfortunately.

Micah is the opposite and whilst he’s unfortunately no Neville with his knowledge, he’s such a great personality.

We need a mix.

Whislt the average football fan is now more interested in tactics than say 20 years ago, no one wants to watch a univeristy lecture on the subject on a Saturday afternoon or at 7pm on a Monday night

Going bakc to the Sunday Supplement, I remember years ago where they actaully gave us the inside track of a breaking story, behind the scenes if you will. Rather than just 'debating' whatever the topic of the day was. I'd like a bit more of that from pundits i.e their own expertise and proffessional opinon rather than just huffing and puffing or just 'what a goal', 'what a great player he is' etc.

For £50 a month, Sky viewers should expect more

I hope they choose a Le Toss like club legend of a middle of the road club to balance out the Rag/Scouse wankers.

You're not wrong. One of the things I and many others always do at the game or even on telly, is try to figure out the tactics. And I don't mean the formation and who is getting tight to who, but what pep for example is thinking and why he is playing a certain formation. The amount of commentators and pundits who seem to not notice, want to talk about it or even come across has having a clue what it may mean, is evident every game. Tactics change throughout the game and to have a pundits who may know what someone like pep is thinking would be very interesting. Instead it seems far easier to bash them and, in city's case, just point to the wealth on the bench.

Whilst I'm no fan of just removing people to conform with ideals of equality and balance, as in general real people are losing their jobs and sometimes even talent and ability is sidelined in favour of ticking other boxes - I do have to note how there are similarities here between removing the old, predominantly white middle age lot, and their heavy alliegences to the 90s and 00s top four of arsenal, Liverpool and United. Maybe the sound of old men climaxing when arsenal miss a long shot isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Plus, football really became a noticeably less white and all male sport in the UK around ten to twenty years ago or so, so it's only natural that in wanting more relevant and identifiable pundits that change happens here too. Which fits in nicely also with when we started to rise in prominence too, so it could just be that sky see this as a way to modernise not just in terms of how they connect with their audiences, but also in terms of which clubs they select their pundits from.

That's said, I don't know what sky's actual plans are, to replace or just drop the positions all together? If they go for mass box ticking and we end up with less engaging, less knowledgeable and over-pandering types, then it could fail miserably. I'm thinking of one person in particular here but won't mention, but I find her just unengaging and unknowledgeable.

Last edited:
I know for dramatic impact these are "sackings" - is it not likely that contracts run from season to season and immediately after this season ended SKY informed the 3 that they simply won't be renewing as they want to freshen things up? That happens all the time in Tellyland.

In addition, there are talks for every game to be shown live whilst fans are locked out - If that happens their job is literally redundant

In addition, there are talks for every game to be shown live whilst fans are locked out - If that happens their job is literally redundant

I just thought that maybe the SKY publicity dept were happy with sacking whereas the truth would be something else - subterfuge from a Murdoch media outlet? I know fancy that !!

Wouldn't mind betting that once everything stopped SKY had words with all the contributors and once it came back they were well aware that they were getting a short extension to conclude the season. Haven't seen the three of them kicking off as sometimes happens when some long time host gets the chop - probably got a decent payoff and a new berth lined up - I imagine Big Nose will be screaming down BBC Radio Merseyside phones on matchdays whereas I like to think Le Tiss will partner Alan Partridge on the Norfolk FM Weekly Sports Roundup Show in that much sought after Wednesday morning 2am - 5am slot......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.