Harry Maguire found guilty in Greece

fuck me oh sorry to all the ladies on here especially kaz7 for swearing but had not seen that interview before. so looking away at the floor i would have thought is bad body language but what do i know. but the bit about the police hitting and kicking his legs ffs. so he turns up in shorts showing zero bruises. must have hit him with some of the straws left over after sticking some in daisy ffs.

Is it racism? Or, perhaps a better (and more nuanced question) is it just racism all of the time?

The difference in treatment is clear and that’s not the issue, the issue it seems to me is what causes it.

A good example is Marcus Rashford’s victory in relation to free school meals. What he did was massively important and is widely, and reasonably, regarded as having led to a U turn in government policy. There was no let up in the praise that was lavished on him, and if there was a serious problem with institutional racism perhaps you would have expected some of the praise to be qualified or more grudging than it actually was. Especially in media outlets that normally support the government, but I don’t recall anything of that nature.

It seems to me that the difference between the coverage of (say) Sterling’s fight with Gomez and MacGuire’s fight with Greek plod is more likely to have everything to do with the colour of the shirt they wear rather than the colour of their skin. The on line media knows exactly how many clicks positive stories about red shirted players get, and how many clicks positive stories about City get, in contrast to how many negative stories. They know how to write stories that are calculated to maximise clicks. Contrast for instance the media’s stance that there’s an appeal in the pipeline so all bets are off and we shouldn’t pay too much attention to the conviction in relation to MacGuire, and the complete absence of any equivalent thought in respect of City’s FFP appeal.

On the other hand, when you look at the reporting of Phil Foden’s purchase for a house for his mum, and Tosin A doing exactly the same thing, it’s hard to conclude that there isn’t institutional racism, bearing in mind the difference in tone.

I suppose what it comes down to is that the commercial media exists to generate profits for their shareholders, and the BBC have chosen to operate on the same level. The mail on line knows articles written in a sniffy tone about a blinging black player throwing his cash around is likely to garner more clicks with their particular readership than a positive story about a young man buying a house for his mum. On the other hand, you can bet your bottom dollar that a similar story about Marcus Rashford would have been written in the same tone as the Foden piece, because they know that even racists amongst the daily mail readership want to read positive stories about a young black man provided he plays for the rags.

So I suppose I would agree that there is a degree of institutional racism at play, but it seems to me that this is not the only factor at play.

Whether it’s bending the truth to chase clicks, or racism, or a mixture of the two, it’s pretty disgusting whatever it is.

The entire "colour of the shirt" argument completely falls apart if you have a memory that goes back further than 2015, and remember the absolutely awful shite Sterling got when he was still very happily a Liverpool player.

I would suggest comparing how the press covered Liverpool player Raheem Sterling's sexual assault charges (later dropped because the defendant was unreliable and had a history of lying) and Harry Maguire's escapade.

Alex Williams called in on our supporters club road at 5 mshowmeeting last week. Gave us a brief run down of some of the initiatives City in the Community have either fronted or been involved in and during the lockdown most, if not all of, you won't have heard mention of in the media. CITC, as he remarked on, have been doing exactly what Marcus Rashford has done for the last 30 years.
Thought the same thing this morning when BBC1 Breakfast allowed St Marcus 5 minutes on the Harry Maguire roadshow.
The words Marcus Rashford were uttered many times in that 5 min clip although it was mainly lsoabout the current implementation of the scheme. He lent his name and some time to the charity and it helped in shaming the government into sorting the meals out with lots of publicity for the charity and himself.
By contrast Alex and his team at CITC work tirelessly all the time often evenings and weekends. Alex is modest and self deprecating giving the credit to his team rather than himself. I am proud he is a Blue.

The entire "colour of the shirt" argument completely falls apart if you have a memory that goes back further than 2015, and remember the absolutely awful shite Sterling got when he was still very happily a Liverpool player.

I would suggest comparing how the press covered Liverpool player Raheem Sterling's sexual assault charges (later dropped because the defendant was unreliable and had a history of lying) and Harry Maguire's escapade.

Yes, because there has been absolutely no critical coverage of City or any of its players ever since. Nor any praise of any black player regardless of who they play for.

a
I noticed on BBC Breakfast this morning that the studio linked up to Dan Roan live in some exotic hotel complex somewhere sunny where he had interviewed Maguire who did not want the location to be broadcast to the nation. Well I hope the BBC did not foot the expenses bill for Roan to do the interview.....
Yesterday mirning he was shown as being in Altrincham presumably at home. He had the compulsory shelves of books behind him plus the compulsory collection of old matching books which are actually a cardboard box used to look like serious books.

Thought the same thing this morning when BBC1 Breakfast allowed St Marcus 5 minutes on the Harry Maguire roadshow.
The words Marcus Rashford were uttered many times in that 5 min clip although it was mainly lsoabout the current implementation of the scheme. He lent his name and some time to the charity and it helped in shaming the government into sorting the meals out with lots of publicity for the charity and himself.
By contrast Alex and his team at CITC work tirelessly all the time often evenings and weekends. Alex is modest and self deprecating giving the credit to his team rather than himself. I am proud he is a Blue.
Alex is a great bloke as well as a tireless worker for CTIC, he was at our branch meeting a few years ago, he also shows a remarkable lack of bitterness considering what I saw him have to put up with at some away games.

I took my mum to number1 buffet in town years ago and Alex was stood just behind our seats weighing up how many ribs to leave everyone else. My mum just went ‘there’s big Alex’ , gave him a massive hug and told her how much she used to love him to which he broke into a huge grin and a few kind words...top bloke

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.