Boro v City 40 years ago today.

Went to the league Cup semi in 75/76 as a 15 year old it was very scary seemed non stop fighting all the game. Also went to a fa cup game was rough in town before the game. Shit hole of a town.

We’ve Probably had more shenanigans with this lot than we have had with other clubs over the last few decades , apart from the obvious Clubs there certainly up there.

The "Parmos" are epic at the central park bar near the old stadium mind ....

I was there too mate ..... i went to Ayresome Park a few times , and it was never the best place to really go .... the place was crammed with 'Phill Mitchell' lookalike hoolies , and Middlesbrough fans are a really game bunch .... the first leg of the League Cup semi in the seventies there was a bit dodgy too , especially in the dark, getting back to the train station later.

i have never had a kicking though , anywhere ... although i did come close on occasion , during the seventies, at both Leeds and Spurs.

There was also one occasion in the nineties, or early noughties, when Boro fans came down Wilmslow Road and attacked the Clarence Pub in Rusholme about an hour or so before the game , and i actually encountered them as cops struggled to contain them near to the Sherwood .... and, not content with that, they also entered the home section of the North Stand just before the game was finishing culminationg in a scrap, after which City chased them off.

But all the north east grounds were generally tough places to visit back in those days .... Sunderland was bad enough , but you really had to watch your back up at Newcastle .... and an FA Cup game there back in 1976/77 season , City won 3-1 , was absolutely horrendous ... we had around 10,000 fans there that day , but the constant fighting in the 'divided' Gallowgate End was that bad that a lot of City fans left at half time!

I remember being in the Kippax that home game and watching little groups of 2 and 3 getting up and walking out with about 10 minutes to go like it was all organised. Heard after they'd had a go in the North Stand and you could see people going up and down the stairs entrance. They had a reputation for being a very tight and game firm who were together for many years

I álways refer to this lot as the kiddie fiddlers. Remember driving there mid 80’s and police telling me not to leave the car where I did as it was where it would kick off after the game. I asked where they would suggest I leave it and they recommended Manchester. Ayresome Park was a horrible place and their current stadium isn’t much better

I would say, alongside Luton, about the most depressing place in England.

That was another nasty little shithole , plenty of rough c*nts in Luton and we always had trouble there., my mate landed up in hospital for three days after a night game there when they ambushed us in dark alleyway ......they were even firing pellet guns at us from a station bridge on one occasion as we waited for the special train!

Last edited:
I remember being in the Kippax that home game and watching little groups of 2 and 3 getting up and walking out with about 10 minutes to go like it was all organised. Heard after they'd had a go in the North Stand and you could see people going up and down the stairs entrance. They had a reputation for being a very tight and game firm who were together for many years

Yeah , i was also in the kippax at that game , but with about quarter of an hour to go you just saw a real commotion at the very top of the City section of the North Stand , and it kicked off bigtime for a few minutes after the City fans realised who they were ... Boro had come all the way up the stairs and it was only really Citys strength in numbers that saw the Boro yobs do a runner in the end..

Last edited:
Ayresome Park .... as it once was ..... the only thing there now is a housing estate.

4226950_orig.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.