F1 Season 2020.

People are getting bored, but what do you do? The best car combined with the best driver. Take Hamilton out of the equation, and I think you could have an interesting scrap most years between Bottas and Verstappen.
Jesus, far be it from me to quote whiskynose approvingly, but he was once asked a very stupid question by a very stupid journalist, and he got rightly irritated (for once). The journalist asked Ferguson, "Don't you get fed up of winning?" What on earth was he supposed to say? He got paid big bucks for winning. And Hamilton gets paid big bucks for winning. Hamilton is going to suddenly start driving badly? I don't think so. It's for the others, somehow, to find something extra.
Agreed. You can't blame Hamilton. What's he supposed to do; drive a souped up Insignia for the rest of the season? My point was that it's making for a boring championship. There is that old chestnut about all the drivers in identical cars being more indicative of who the best driver would be (would probably still be Lewis, being honest). But the races would, in theory, be more interesting. But let's be honest; that ain't gonna happen. Too many "vested interests" around, not least sponsors.

Agreed. You can't blame Hamilton. What's he supposed to do; drive a souped up Insignia for the rest of the season? My point was that it's making for a boring championship. There is that old chestnut about all the drivers in identical cars being more indicative of who the best driver would be (would probably still be Lewis, being honest). But the races would, in theory, be more interesting. But let's be honest; that ain't gonna happen. Too many "vested interests" around, not least sponsors.

That's the one thing you can count on to be interesting in F1. Is the difference in engines, suspension, aero etc.

A spec series is no guarantee of a close championship either. The Formula E is largely spec and was absolutely walked by Felix Da Costa. Same with Indycar where Scott Dixon is absolutely dominating despite it being pretty much a spec series.

Hopefully things get closer with the new regs in 2022 but historically new regs just bring in a new dominant team so it's a rough situation..

My solution... would be to lock up Hamilton on a remote desert island for next season and let Ferrari have their 2019 engine back. Then you'd have Bottas vs Verstappen vs Leclerc up front. :)

Get some female drivers on the grid and a couple of elderly Sunday driver to add a bit of jeopardy.

Mechanised sport does seem to be different to any other kind of sport in this respect. That's why there's a constructor's championship. But the best drivers do tend to gravitate towards the best constructors, and I suspect it has ever been so.
The closest I can think that's to it is the Americas Cup, which isn't mechanised (or certainly not motorised) and yet you do get the impression that the technology of the boats has a huge impact on the ultimate outcome of the competition.
I confess I don't much pine for the days when Ferrari and Schumacher were dominating it (because they really did dominate it for a while, almost as much as Hamilton). More for the days when the likes of Lotus could be a power and workshops along the Thames valley could produce F1 winning cars… But that's a long, long way back.

That's the one thing you can count on to be interesting in F1. Is the difference in engines, suspension, aero etc.

A spec series is no guarantee of a close championship either. The Formula E is largely spec and was absolutely walked by Felix Da Costa. Same with Indycar where Scott Dixon is absolutely dominating despite it being pretty much a spec series.

Hopefully things get closer with the new regs in 2022 but historically new regs just bring in a new dominant team so it's a rough situation..

My solution... would be to lock up Hamilton on a remote desert island for next season and let Ferrari have their 2019 engine back. Then you'd have Bottas vs Verstappen vs Leclerc up front. :)

This, I watched the Porsche Supercup race beforehand and with the same spec car nobody could overtake each other, just became a train. There needs to be sufficient individuality to make each car unique and suit different tracks whilst keeping the collective performance within a certain range so cars are competitive but give us varied races.

This, I watched the Porsche Supercup race beforehand and with the same spec car nobody could overtake each other, just became a train. There needs to be sufficient individuality to make each car unique and suit different tracks whilst keeping the collective performance within a certain range so cars are competitive but give us varied races.

The WEC LMP1 cars were for a few years pretty much what you're asking for. They had some spectacular battles.

In 2014 Audi was V6 turbo diesel with braking regen and electrical battery power assist, Porsche was V4 turbo petrol with braking and exhaust heat regen. Massive amounts of electrical battery power assist and Toyota was V8 naturally aspirated petrol with braking regen and capacitors instead of batteries as their energy store.

Such different cars but then they'd produce battles like these..

It's a shame they didn't/dont do some sprint style races for more people to watch the series at it's peak as the 6 hours races are too long for most.

Russell was extremely lucky with the crash with Giovinazzi could have ended up being something similar to the incident that caused the fatality at Spa last year. It’s a beautiful old school track is Spa but they need to look at the lack of run off areas in parts of it where a car can hit a barrier and rebound right into the racing line.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.