Tour de France 2020

First time I’ve been happy for a non-British rider to win a stage. I suspect he might be getting a bonus from the sponsors ;-)
He’s no threat to the GC boys but I thought the Alaphilippe group could have worked harder to close him down.
Chapeau m.Hirschi

Not to worry, he got stage win today all on his lonesome.
Good sprint yesterday with Caleb winning. Sagan relegated due to barging WVA in the sprint. Bennett still in green and given Sagan’s troubles he’s looking good for keeping it.

Shortest ever longest stage today at 218km. Lumpy profile with two cat 4s, a cat 3 and a cat 2 which could be a good stage for a breakaway.

In the GC, Pogacar and Roglic dominant.

Bernal with no support looked beaten today and lost maybe even at this stage, too much time.

In the GC, Pogacar and Roglic dominant.

Bernal with no support looked beaten today and lost maybe even at this stage, too much time.
I don’t think it’s too much time (59 seconds) but he did look weak when Primoz & Pogacar went. I was hoping that Bernal would grow into it and by now be the one testing everyone else but he was hanging on today which doesn’t bode well for next week.

I don’t think it’s too much time (59 seconds) but he did look weak when Primoz & Pogacar went. I was hoping that Bernal would grow into it and by now be the one testing everyone else but he was hanging on today which doesn’t bode well for next week.

We have no idea how his back is feeling or if it is still sore, will it recover but as of now, he just didn't have the legs and that was after a day in which his team did its job, shielded him superbly but come the climb, he was found wanting.

Those 2 Slovenian riders are simply stunning to watch though and Roglic looked steely focused and well within himself even on that brutal 15% at the end.

Looking at the two Slovenian climbers on the final today, and then bearing in mind Bernal at the finish saying he felt good today, and his (power) numbers were good & he was happy with them (which I interpret as being similar to when he won last year), but that others were just too good, puts me in mind of the recent Science In Sport podcast where they discuss how times on this tour have not only recovered to Armstrong levels, but have now surpassed them (having dipped for the last decade or so). They describe it as being at the very boundaries of acceptability in terms of what the human body achieve. Certainly worth a listen if you’re interested in this.

Looking at the two Slovenian climbers on the final today, and then bearing in mind Bernal at the finish saying he felt good today, and his (power) numbers were good & he was happy with them (which I interpret as being similar to when he won last year), but that others were just too good, puts me in mind of the recent Science In Sport podcast where they discuss how times on this tour have not only recovered to Armstrong levels, but have now surpassed them (having dipped for the last decade or so). They describe it as being at the very boundaries of acceptability in terms of what the human body achieve. Certainly worth a listen if you’re interested in this.

I'll have a listen to that tomorrow.

Have to admit I find Roglic's racing style boring and he's a bit dull. I'd pretty much rather anyone else won the race.

Just to digress... Thomas looked good today at Tirreno-Adriatico. Simon Yates looked superb, winning the stage by over 30 seconds. Certainly fancy a British rider winning the Giro.

I'll have a listen to that tomorrow.

Have to admit I find Roglic's racing style boring and he's a bit dull. I'd pretty much rather anyone else won the race.

Just to digress... Thomas looked good today at Tirreno-Adriatico. Simon Yates looked superb, winning the stage by over 30 seconds. Certainly fancy a British rider winning the Giro.
I never watch the Giro with the same level of interest as the tour, probably because I’ve driven most of the stages

Attachments

• C9F2EDFF-67C2-4E60-9801-D5B818E909CD.jpeg
    C9F2EDFF-67C2-4E60-9801-D5B818E909CD.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 9
Have to agree with this. I was thinking it yesterday but didn’t want to post as it felt like it might just be sour grapes because he and his team are the big rival to my favourite team, but he’s the type of rider to follow attacks and gain small amounts of time rather than launch a big attack and leave everyone for dead like Froomey used to do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.