Have we become expectant as a fanbase?

Shoudl we expect to win everything? No - nobody has a right to win, it has to be earnt. Can we be disappointed when we don't win things? Yes, of course - I'm happy we're in the mix for most things. But dissapointment at not winning is not the same as entitlement.

A lot of our fans have been spoilt by success and a lot of them have jumped on the bandwagon

My 14 year old lad was watching a video of our relegation match at Stoke in 98 and he couldn't believe that the entire city end were stood applauding the city players off at the end

To be honest I'd forgotten how good our fanbase used to be, arguably the best in the country.. maybe not in numbers but in quality.

Can't imagine for one second the team being clapped off these days after a catastrophic failure like that

I think you're sugar coating it a bit there.

Had we gone down with Frank Clark in charge and suffered a defeat at Stoke then I doubt the response would have been anything like what we actually got.

There was a lot of venom and vitriol amongst the supporters prior to Joe coming in, and though we did eventually get relegated I think a lot of blues saw optimism in the way he was handling things. I think that's why we got 33,000 in at home to Blackpool on the opening day.

Little did we know how long it was going to take us to get to grips with the 2nd Division.

A lot of our fans have been spoilt by success and a lot of them have jumped on the bandwagon

My 14 year old lad was watching a video of our relegation match at Stoke in 98 and he couldn't believe that the entire city end were stood applauding the city players off at the end

To be honest I'd forgotten how good our fanbase used to be, arguably the best in the country.. maybe not in numbers but in quality.

Can't imagine for one second the team being clapped off these days after a catastrophic failure like that
Yes, there were many times our support was fantastic in the past but also, Maine Rd had a poisonous atmosphere that was famous throughout football. We were known for getting on the players backs & certain players were treated disgracefully by fans

Last edited:
I think you're sugar coating it a bit there.

Had we gone down with Frank Clark in charge and suffered a defeat at Stoke then I doubt the response would have been anything like what we actually got.

There was a lot of venom and vitriol amongst the supporters prior to Joe coming in, and though we did eventually get relegated I think a lot of blues saw optimism in the way he was handling things. I think that's why we got 33,000 in at home to Blackpool on the opening day.

Little did we know how long it was going to take us to get to grips with the 2nd Division.
We have always had one of the best away followings in football, especially in the lower divisions where we had big allocations. Maine Road could be very toxic in those days though. Our hard-core support has usually reacted well to adversity. The only time I saw our fans really turn at an away match was that pitiful FA Cup Quarter Final at Blackburn under Pearce. A lot of us lost the plot at that game.

Yes, there were many times our support was fantastic in the past but also, Maine Rd had a poisonous atmosphere that was famous throughout football. We were known for getting on the players backs & certain players were treated disgracefully by fans
were known,
you should read some of the players threads, or match day threads on here, fucking disgraceful some of the know fuckall bigmouthed cunts remarks they come out with

were known,
you should read some of the players threads, or match day threads on here, fucking disgraceful some of the know fuckall bigmouthed cunts remarks they come out with
I think maybe a lot of the horrible posts are from non attending City fans, i could be wrong though

In the time I have been a member here, the number of people that say things they wouldn't say in real life to another person has grown by leaps and bounds!

Maybe i remember "the good old days" fondly but every disagreement didn't have people insulting each other. People, often respectfully disagreed. Yeah, sometimes things got heated but it is the norm now, it seems.

Maybe the world is full of hard men now that will say anything to anyone because they can beat arse. Guess what. It isn't. I deal with people on a daily basis at work, especially young people who think they are hard as nails but when push comes to shove end up crying like a baby (would have chosen another word but didn't want anyone offended) if someone stands up to them when they act a hard man or God forbid puts hands on them when they deserve it.
Well said, yep the streets are full of young men posturing as hard men without any of the skills or substance needed. Why pretend you can fight when you can’t - I don’t pretend I can knit.

Forums are full of shouty bitches who wouldn’t say boo to a goose in real life. It manifests itself on here bymeeting any criticism of pep or the club or certain players with idiotic cries of rag. Then all the usual bored saddos join in and sensible discussion is impossible. They wouldn’t have lasted 5minutes on the kippax - they’ve probably never been anywhere near it

Very possible, but combine it with what Peace Frog was responding to and it is clear it is not only non attending fans who act that way.
If you mean responding to my post about how Maine Rd was toxic at times, it was & we were known for it at that time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.