Club Philosophy vs Club Identity...

I don’t watch the other teams but it’s clear they play it out from the back etc and it’s working the Women’s team have been successful Melbourne City have done well and NYCFC have had good spells perhaps would expect them to do some what better though given their status and our backing but they are stills new ish team basically I am not sure what the ops getting at

Torrent was doing really well at NYCFC after a tough start. They were looking great before he left, which was due to issues higher up. They were definitely going to have been stronger had he stayed. They 100% tried to play the way Pep does. They played their way through teams with great build up and we're majorly vulnerable on the counter, but they made it work thanks largely to players like Moralez and Heber.

Playing the same way throughout generally tends towards success if the coaching is right. Imagine if in 16/17 Guardiola changed the way we played for a few extra points? We may have achieved much less than we did the following two seasons because we'd have lacked the know-how to play a specific way (like Mourinho sides suffer from).

As with NYCFC at the moment with Delia, the women's team with Taylor, and whatever other team in the CFG (men's, women's, or academy) the philosophy itself isn't the issue, but the implementation. You need good coaches that coach the right kind of way and are actually skilled enough to get the players both playing that way and to motivate the players to make it work. Delia does not manage the "right way" and Taylor is unknown in coaching ability despite having the right ideas.

Having the wrong style of player hurts too, but that's more down to recruitment. And with good coaching and time you can generally get the players to be competent, which works fine in weaker leagues like the women's and MLS.

With regards to identity you NEED to see the bigger picture. Each of these clubs may have its own identity but each of these clubs are part of the CFG. And importantly they are all branded under the CFG brand. So when casual US fan #23453 sees a CFG team on the TV they're expecting to see swashbuckling and great technical football. And that future might not seem obvious now, but if these clubs stick at it for the next 10-20 years, which is how far ahead ADUG are planning almost certainly, then it makes far more sense. If they keep at it for long enough then it will work, and it will be part of these club's identities.

It's a short term sacrifice for an incredibly huge long term gain. You might not think it's the right way to go and that's fair but the CFG has to push these things in this way if it wants the results they desire in the long term furture.

Good post.

I just think CFG are risking the pressure of their strategy being being deemed a failure way before it ever gets the chance of being 'successful'!

The odds are high, therefore, that it will be disbanded before then and then, what would the point have been of it, at all?

Playing out from the back is a highly skilled tactic. Sometimes we have gasped at the way Peps teams have succeded. Other prem teams have copied and failed. Pass rate in womens football is poor so how can we expect them to complete several successful passes just to get out of defence.

I don’t watch the other teams but it’s clear they play it out from the back etc and it’s working the Women’s team have been successful Melbourne City have done well and NYCFC have had good spells perhaps would expect them to do some what better though given their status and our backing but they are stills new ish team basically I am not sure what the ops getting at

NYCFC did well for a spell under Torrent, who already knows the Guardiola / CFG style of football production. The new guy, Deila, is struggling but I will watch the game tonight to see if this still the case.

Everything else I've said is pretty accurate as my opinion on what I'm seeing.

Playing out from the back is a highly skilled tactic. Sometimes we have gasped at the way Peps teams have succeded. Other prem teams have copied and failed. Pass rate in womens football is poor so how can we expect them to complete several successful passes just to get out of defence.

Agreed.

Now, I don't subscribe to the notion that the women can't pass as quick and as dynamic as the men, but they can and will do this at whatever the top level will be (an unknown quantity at this point).

I just don't think the philosophy can be crowbarred in at every level. For City Women, I think they need it introduced slower to understand its mechanics, positives and negatives.

This is why Cushing abandoned the philosophy a fair bit and allowed it when the opposition would let that happen.

Now, the opposition doesn't, full stop and we're seeing the difficulties to challenge this tactic as we have with the men.

NYCFC did well for a spell under Torrent, who already knows the Guardiola / CFG style of football production. The new guy, Deila, is struggling but I will watch the game tonight to see if this still the case.

Everything else I've said is pretty accurate as my opinion on what I'm seeing.

But what’s your point ? By your own admonition NYCfC did well and played the CFG style I am sure they still do Melbourne have done well recently and got singled out my Khaldoon in the end of season review We clearly play the CFG style and it’s worked. The women seem to play the same but with less ability They have been successful not sure as much this year but only just so what’s the issue ? Where is the conflict ? Between identity and philosophy ?

womans football quality of lower leagues ?, woman's football gets over hyped ,stick the womans team in the 4th division they wouldn't get a point, not sure they would score a goal.
Yes, that's because womens football doesn't, and never should aspire to be anywhere near to men's football at the elite level, and only an idiot would think it would.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.