Overrated/underrated musicians and bands

Oof. He was arguably the most talented musician of the 80s — not only as a guitarist, but also his stage presence and the sheer variety of musical styles he could perform. He also wrote for other bands. First person I ever heard suggest he was overrated. And I’m not the biggest fan of the music he made, understand, but talent is talent.
Very underrated guitar player.

Overrated

Stone Roses
Oasis
Rolling Stones
Primal Scream (apart from XTRMNTR which is amazing)

Underrated

Autechre
Boards of Canada
Venetian Snares
My Bloody Valentine

Although the last 4 are critically acclaimed, they are massively influential and should be more widely appreciated!

Just going back through this thread — totally agree on MBV. If you effectively invent a genre (as they did shoegazing, or Fugazi did emo, or PWEI did grebo, or plenty of other bands), you‘ve made progress. I get nothing is new under the sun, e.g. there’s no Nirvana without the Pixies, but bands who influenced movements or are flagships for movements or fused two styles together in novel ways should get points even if I don’t care for their records. In MBV’s case, though, their stuff is rocket fuel. Great band.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.