Stupid little things that bug you

The latest ones are

uptick
tick up
downtick
tick down

Recent CNNspeak in relation to Covid-19 cases and immediately seized on and repeated by Chris Whitty and Victoria Derbyshire. What's wrong with increase and decrease?

And don't get me started on 'get go'.
OK what about:
Cohort
Ass
Raft
So to start any sentence
Yes...no ...but....
and 'multiple' others Either from America or street slang and used by the sort of middle aged, middle class people like the two you mention and who should know better.
By accident or design you mentioned two people who are the last who should try to be trendy.

I know it's irrational but I'm really getting to snapping point with all the text speak that's creeping into this place lately.
The worst being "U" instead of you.

I know it's irrational but I'm really getting to snapping point with all the text speak that's creeping into this place lately.
The worst being "U" instead of you.
Awful. You even get 55 year olds using it like teenagers;)

I can let that one slide mate ; )and wonderful

This one. Not so much.

"Its clear. Clubs want our Money back, too bad u wont get it until next Year. U can cry as hard as u want."
Probably at Oxford reading English.
What really pisses me off is those who cannot follow the basic rules of English but strictly follow the weird and wonderful conventions of text speak.

Then there are little words like 'apt' and 'Ilk' and 'meme'. Whoever used those words in normal conversation before some smart arse started using them on social media? Not to mention 'trope' which means some dickhead thinks he is cleverer than you because he has picked up that word from social media. U no what I mean bro?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.