Diving in youth football

better dead than red

My daughter's club had a match yesterday. She plays U9. Before we get to girls playing football isnt acceptable or the women's game is crap, I have daughters. One plays football. It is what it is, as some say.

Most of these girls fight like hell to keep the ball, stay on their feet and keep going if there is any contact. All but one on the other team.

She has some skill, her dad attempts to coach her from the crowd I've noticed (we have played this team before.) Any time this girl had the ball in the box at the slightest bit of contact to her or a defender made contact with the ball at her feet she would drop like a bag of hammers.

It won her two penalty kicks but left me disgusted. Imo, and from what I have seen here many other people's, diving is a shit house tactic. It rubs me the wrong way to see parents and or coaches teaching kids that diving is an acceptable part of the game.

Last edited:
It’s not The kids fault, they are just doing what they’re heroes do in professional football.. Sad but that’s the way it is, we just tried to play but it’s not enough these days :-(

My daughter's club had a match yesterday. She plays U9. Before we get to girls playing football isnt acceptable or the women's game is crap, I have daughters. One plays football. It is what it is, as some say.

Most of these girls fight like hell to keep the ball, stay on their feet and keep going if there is any contact. All but one on the other team.

She has some skill, her dad attempts to coach her from the crowd I've noticed (we have played this team before.) Any time this girl had the ball in the box at the slightest bit of contact to her or a defender made contact with the ball at her feet she would drop like a bag of hammers.

It won her two penalty kicks but left me disgusted. Imo, and from what I have seen here many other people's, diving is a shit house tactic. It rubbed rubs me the wrong way to see parents and or coaches teaching kids that diving is an acceptable part of the game.

definitely copying what they see from the pro's unfortunately.

I suppose she is emulating what she sees. At least she was the only one doing it yesterday. It was pretty obvious, as she gets older or when there is better officiating maybe it will get her booked and set her straight.

English football shouldn't be exempt from diving. It happens regardless of what country

Over paid professional footballers diving to win free kicks makes my blood boil.
We see the replays and see the feigning of injury to stop the game cos they have lost the ball.
Why can't this be picked up by VAR or an extra official, to then have that player booked for diving/cheating etc.
It seems that today nobody can be told off/reprimanded, so in turn cheats are a law unto themselves

definitely copying what they see from the pro's unfortunately.
Yep. And as mentioned by a couple of Semi-professional/Amateur referees on here, the abuse they get, is another hideous copyying by players of the pro's.

The rule on allowing a free kick to be moved forward by another 10 yards for disputing a foul was a good idea, if poorly implemented.
I'd say a 5-10min sin-bin for anyone other than a captain talking about/to the ref. Any complaints about Ref's decisions/conduct to be made in writing and in public, after the game, with the ref and assistants (and now also the VAR room), replies (either a rebuttal or mea culpa) also public.

Over paid professional footballers diving to win free kicks makes my blood boil.
We see the replays and see the feigning of injury to stop the game cos they have lost the ball.
Why can't this be picked up by VAR or an extra official, to then have that player booked for diving/cheating etc.
It seems that today nobody can be told off/reprimanded, so in turn cheats are a law unto themselves

Too much interest in certain clubs

My daughter has played football from age 7. She spent most of her youth playing for Nottingham Forest Ladies and got selected several times to play for her County, Nottinghamshire. As a senior she played for Notts County until moving to Manchester for uni Where she played for the first team last season and probably will again this season. All the way through that journey watching from the sidelines I’ve seen diving on and off but not too much and usually from the more gifted players with overbearing parents coaching from the sidelines (as in op). The worst example of it’s acceptance in the game however came at County level where her manager had a go at a striker at HT for NOT going down in the box when there was contact and instead trying to play on and get a shot away. This is the root of the problem: the higher the level, the worse the ‘do it like the pros’ attitude can be.

My daughter has played football from age 7. She spent most of her youth playing for Nottingham Forest Ladies and got selected several times to play for her County, Nottinghamshire. As a senior she played for Notts County until moving to Manchester for uni Where she played for the first team last season and probably will again this season. All the way through that journey watching from the sidelines I’ve seen diving on and off but not too much and usually from the more gifted players with overbearing parents coaching from the sidelines (as in op). The worst example of it’s acceptance in the game however came at County level where her manager had a go at a striker at HT for NOT going down in the box when there was contact and instead trying to play on and get a shot away. This is the root of the problem: the higher the level, the worse the ‘do it like the pros’ attitude can be.
At first, I thought you meant the City first team, but on rereading it, I realised that you meant her university's first team.

At least, I presume that's what you meant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.