The Michael Oliver Penalty Thread

I've gone back 10 seasons of pens awarded in the PL to find the average position of the teams. It's only an indicator, but suggests that, on average, City easily finish highest with the number of penalties awarded than Liverpool or Utd.

Man Utd 1st, 1st, 14, 14, 8, 8, 6, 1st, 8, 4. Average position: 6.5.
Man City 2, 14, 3, 2, 2, 1st, 3, 5, 2, 1st. Average: 3.5.
Liv 7, 5, 9, 4, 18, 5, 1st, 4, 6, 5. Av: 6.4.
You don't really understand ordinal numbers do you mate?
When you get back to school, have a word with your GCSE maths teachers, I'm sure they'll be able to point out your errors to you.

You don't really understand ordinal numbers do you mate?
When you get back to school, have a word with your GCSE maths teachers, I'm sure they'll be able to point out your errors to you.
It's real data? But if you need some more I can have a look at the number of pens awarded to each team, on average, per year, over the 10 years? Based on the ranking of the teams though it's likely to reinforce the point that City get on average a lot more penalties than the other two. You may not like that fact, but it's very likely to be the case.

I don't have a problem with conspiracies, but lazy ones should just be torpedoed. There's so many other useful things to talk about than those that are verifiably false.

It's real data? But if you need some more I can have a look at the number of pens awarded to each team, on average, per year, over the 10 years? Based on the ranking of the teams though it's likely to reinforce the point that City get on average a lot more penalties than the other two. You may not like that fact, but it's very likely to be the case.

I don't have a problem with conspiracies, but lazy ones should just be torpedoed. There's so many other useful things to talk about than those that are verifiably false.
I believe @the-ecstacy-of-eight was referring to the way you presented the data, rather than anything else.

You put 2, 3, 14, etc, except for 1st, which is mixing ordinal and cardinal numbers.

Lostock United as that area is in Stretford..... Levenshulme - as you know - is in Manchester ;)
There was a question on The Chase the other night - What is the name of the football ground in Manchester that holds 75000. Correct answer, of course, is that there isn't one. The largest football stadium in Manchester holds fifty odd thousand. But the answer they gave was The Swamp. Had I been on the show I would have opened with "I think you mean Old Trafford, but it isn't in Manchester"!

Under the new rules for deflections onto the arm/hand the first wasn't a penalty.
I have this funny feeling come the end of the month Rag Reilly will say the same thing in his monthly VAR press conference and blame it on first day mistake or some other bollocks.

Sure, just come back and stick by what I said. Blame ref for Trent call, some refs give it and some don't, also ball much closer when it hit (moreover expecting a ref to rule in our favour at Anfield, just daft). The Leeds player had plenty time to get his arm out the way, much clearer call.
"Trent"?
fuckin "Trent"?

As Vienna said, I was just having a pedantic pop at the missing letters that denoted the positions not just the value.

BUT...

I understand that it's "real" data, however you're only looking at ranked values, which is such an over simplified data set that it becomes almost irrelevant. Also, nobody's really arguing about who gets the most penalties, nor are people concerning themselves with the total number of penalties/yearly averages/etc.etc.etc. as these are, again, almost irrelevant numbers; people are (I believe) a little concerned with the "nature" of the penalties awarded and also the decision making process and the speed of this process when penalties are awarded/not awarded for specific teams.

Off the top of my head I'd say that the only statistical analysis that you could do that would be of any real relevance would be a series of hypothesis tests for each team which maybe tests something like whether or not there is a correlation between number of goals scored in open play and number of penalties awarded; or maybe a series of correlation coefficients both across the league in any particular season and specific to each club over a specific number of years to decide if the number of penalties/final league position/total goals scored/goals scored from open play/etc.etc.etc. are indeed related to each other, to see if there are any anomalies that raise questions.

But crack on with your stats homework if you like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.