Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Albums

Love XTC -- or rather -- a lot of XTC, not all of their stuff.

I will check out The Divine Comedy. Never thought denizens of that part of the world had much of a sense of humo(u)r an/or were rags, but then my wife made me watch "Derry Girls" . . . :)

If you can put a lyric like "It's hard to get by when your arse is the size of a small country" in a song then the Divine Comedy are ok with me.

Plus they did "My Lovely Horse". A beaut of a ditty.

I will check out The Divine Comedy. Never thought denizens of that part of the world had much of a sense of humo(u)r an/or were rags, but then my wife made me watch "Derry Girls" . . . :)
Have to say I havent had a taxi driver yet in town who wasnt a rag supporter. Alot of them about.

Fair point.

London Calling was hailed as a huge breakthrough at the time -- best double album since Exile on Main Street some called it. This at a time when music was in the beginnings of a post-punk upheaval. So much great music came out between 79-81 as "punk" became "mainstream" and began to shove AOR, prog rock and disco off the shelves among youth, and ignited alternative and new wave. Not that I don't like those other genres because I very much do. But LC was important in that regard and in addition to having what I believe are no weak songs, one actual pop(!) hit, and a lot to say about strife in the UK and the world at the time, also had a wide variety of styles that I'm pretty sure no one thought The Clash were capable of.

It is feasible I do place somewhat more emphasis on "important" records to critics in my lists admittedly, often because reading about music is what got me to listen to said music. But I'm also a sucker for a hook and a sense of humo(u)r and the periodic social statement. Hence why I am confident I was the only vote for Chumbawumba's Tubthumping!
Loved London Calling,just missed out on my top twenty.A far superior album than the White Album.
Sandinista the Clash lp that is their White album.
The Clash,London Calling and Combat Rock I can listen too without skipping tracks.

You are right on the money for me, some of it is brilliant, if some of it is sh1te but they get a pass because you can't say that about the Beatles.

Even if it sounds sh1te and isn't really about anything it still has to classed as music of the gods..........
I had a similar argument with two mates in the pub one Friday night.

I wasn’t trying to argue that the Kinks were a better band as such, than the Beatles.
I was saying that I preferred their grit and lyrics for the times. I preferred their music basically.

I got shot down by both. I wasn’t disputing the success or the wealth of really good songs by the Beatles. I just regard the as a really good pop band and probably the best songwriters of that genre of music.

The Kinks I would put in the mod-rock Who scene. It was much more appealing and real to me only catching it in the 70’s as a teen.

The Beatles with the movies and the manufacturing of Beatlemania just seemed too poppy to me. They wrote great songs no doubt. Pioneered a lot of new things in the studio etc.

I’d rather have seen the Kinks live though.
All subjective.

I was thinking a top 10 from each poster, with all the votes tabulated and leading to a Top 50. And its personal taste, not critics, like the other polls :)
And then we can do one on The Smiths.
And then Oasis.....

Why not Abba
Then Let’s do Radiohead.

Nah. No offence Foggy or BH.
Count me out again.

Neil Hannon wrote excellent adult pop. Divine Comedy are Well worth a listen.

Here’s a starter for you.
I love the orchestration and drama he adds to pop.
A good starter for you would be the best of album: A Secret History.
Probably all you need really.

I had a similar argument with two mates in the pub one Friday night.

I wasn’t trying to argue that the Kinks were a better band as such, than the Beatles.
I was saying that I preferred their grit and lyrics for the times. I preferred their music basically.

I got shot down by both. I wasn’t disputing the success or the wealth of really good songs by the Beatles. I just regard the as a really good pop band and probably the best songwriters of that genre of music.

The Kinks I would put in the mod-rock Who scene. It was much more appealing and real to me only catching it in the 70’s as a teen.

The Beatles with the movies and the manufacturing of Beatlemania just seemed too poppy to me. They wrote great songs no doubt. Pioneered a lot of new things in the studio etc.

I’d rather have seen the Kinks live though.
All subjective.
The Kinks are my favourite band, Ray Davies is a lyrical genius and to me they were primarily a singles band though the Village Green concept album made it in my top 20 at no.14. I don't think you could easily categorise the Kinks, Ray Davies's compositions could span most of the musical spectrum from pop to early hints of punk rock.

The Beatles produced some excellent albums, which is why they're the only band with two picks in my 20, but they would be in the bottom half of my top 10 favourite bands/artists.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.