LP sales overtake CDs

@BimboBob no question niche markets will always exist but as a major media platform everything has been digitized for years

Else, it’s indeed accurate to state physical media is dead and will not return

It's worth mentioning that CD sales have almost halved since the same period last year, whereas vinyl has increased a tiny amount, so it's definitely more a case of CD sales collapsing rather than a surge in vinyl sales. I'm gonna guess that CD sales have been more affected by coronavirus. I think vinyl is a more deliberate purchase by enthusiasts, whereas CDs are perhaps more of an impulse buy from the supermarket or as gifts.

It's worth mentioning that CD sales have almost halved since the same period last year, whereas vinyl has increased a tiny amount, so it's definitely more a case of CD sales collapsing rather than a surge in vinyl sales. I'm gonna guess that CD sales have been more affected by coronavirus. I think vinyl is a more deliberate purchase by enthusiasts, whereas CDs are perhaps more of an impulse buy from the supermarket or as gifts.
I would say this is accurate.

@BimboBob no question niche markets will always exist but as a major media platform everything has been digitized for years

Else, it’s indeed accurate to state physical media is dead and will not return

Vinyl sales have increased year on year for the last 6 or so years. Granted its not a lot compared to streaming but it's a growing market. These figures also don't include second hand sales which are booming.

Ps4 is the only thing owned in my household that can take a disc, no CD or dvd player, even our cars don't have CD player.

I also have no idea why people don't like owning music. Lack of space? Funds? Far easier to flick a switch or say "hey alexa"?

Is it the same with book sales/ kindle/ audible?
I have 80 Albums on vinyl and around 400 CD's, plus a box full of cassettes (including DSOtM and a whole load of 90's House mix tapes). It certainly takes a fair bit of space, but it's not massive amounts. Bloody heavy though if you were to weigh them all (@70kg)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.