COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are still trying to deny it, but it's been clear what is happening for 2 weeks now, doubling 1 to 2 might not seem important, but 2>4>8>16>32>64>128>256>512>1024, and that's just 13 doubles from 1.

Yes that's why I said on Monday that I liked the way the scientists used the chess board wheat grain analogy to show that point. And why I have been warning these hospital/ventilator (latter especially as these are people some of whom will certainly die) doubling really matters for over two weeks here.

Not because only 600 becoming 1200 in a week is a disaster but that unless we stem that rise 5000 becoming 10,000 and 10,000 becoming 20,000 quickly would be. And once you get there it is out of control. Especially given our big problems with testing.

So you have to assume a worst possible outcome to STOP that happening because if you do not and it does happen you cannot then easily regain control without it costing multiple lives.

We are rightly not going to risk doing that again. Hence prudence is our policy. Rightly so.

Better for this to fizzle out and people win the argument and say I told you so'. Than we presume they will be right and are in full lockdown to Spring with Britain's economic future tanked because we gambled that they were - and lost.

Sure, but none of that really answers my concerns. I get the logic behind it, but I don't think the foundations are demonstrably strong enough to rest all that on. At least in the eyes of a large percent of the public anyway. Everyone knows if you hit someone going faster in a car, they'll likely die. I don't think the perception of the mask thing is anywhere near the same in society. You have to remember that our medical officers and government spent weeks and weeks downplaying the importance of masks citing 'little proof' of their effect on all of this, only to one day a u-turn and say they are.

They've literally not shared any empirical evidence to the public to show why they've changed their minds too. You can't blame the public for being highly cynical as a result. Putting people in prison for this would cause ridiculous amounts of unrest. They've absolutely handled it terribly. What we need is a campaign around why they are useful, presenting data, being honest about why they never recommended them in the first place (PPE shortages, but that's political so they won't fucking admit to making a mistake) and then maybe some will change their minds. As it is though, they've destroyed all confidence in them for many by their own mistakes. Put people in prison for not wearing one now = an even angrier, more segregated society.

Also, once again, this criminally inept government having that power is terrifying. It would be abused, or something similar at some point in the future would be anyway.

EDIT - once again, I am pro masks, just in case anyone thinks i'm arguing against them. I'm not. I think before it gets to the point where you're throwing people in prison, you should probs try and communicate why they're important in a useful manner first.
To be clear, I am not advocating everyone who doesn't wear a mask needs a prison sentence. Merely that the punishments for non-compliance are currently WAY too lenient, and when you have a very rich person saying "everyone can fuck off and I'm going to do what the fuck I like" then you need more severe sentencing options available, including imprisonment.

Lots of experts in the field also think it's down to lesser viral loads too, not just treatments. People are catching 'a bit' of it due to distancing/increased hygiene. I think if people keep up trying to distance even a bit, and maintain hygiene, then that should help too.
For sure social distancing and especially face fasks are having some effect on how ill people are getting, but that would only really have an effect on the seriously ill if less people were being admitted directly to ICU. Im not sure that's the case

As someone who wears a mask all day at work, I really don't get why there is any debate at all. You barely notice it, it doesn't inconvenience me in the slightest unless it's hot and I have to do something particularly strenuous. Now winters is coming it might actually be nice to keep my face a bit warmer.

Are people just massively soft cunts who can't tolerate a small piece of cloth on their face or am I some kind of superhuman breathing machine for not being remotely affected by them? Feel a lot like I am not a super human breathing machine

I am so pleased that you don’t have any difficulty wearing a mask all day.

As someone with a heart problem which restricts my breathing I struggle to wear one continually just for an hour.

I’m trying to stay alive for my wife, my children and my grandchildren so I suppose I qualify as one of your massively soft c***s.

But as long as you are ok .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.