Eric Garcia to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garcia gets so much undeserved hate on here. I agree that he hasn’t always shone when he’s played but we don’t see what Pep and the coaching staff see working with him every day. They clearly rate him and think of him very highly and it’s not because he’s from Catalonia like some posters are claiming.

Do you really think that someone as obsessed with winning as Pep would pick Garcia over Stones and Otamendi if he didn’t think he was better than them? As fans we don’t always see the whole picture. We don’t see what Garcia is like in training, in the dressing room, etc. Pep and the rest of the coaching staff clearly want him here and see a future for him.

Remember he’s only 19 as well. He’s still 10-12 years off his peak. Hopefully he changes his mind and stays—if not then I don’t blame him for wanting to return to his home to play for his boyhood club.

I don't think people have any ill will towards him. In fact, his decision to go back to Barca makes perfect sense for a guy that clearly is Barca through and through. The issue is what this whole situation represents.

Here we have a guy that doesn't want to be here. We're a club that even the great Lionel Messi was pleading to join yet here we are with a 19yo that doesn't want to be here, essentially being developed for Barcelona.

I know it's cynical when Blues say he's only here being of his background but, in reality, it's not a ludicrous suggestion. Pep has always maintained La Masia as the best academy in the world, he gave significant playing time to players that had no business at that level. Guys like Jefferen, Cuenca were starting games regularly for Barca. In 2011, Pep stated that La Masia is full of players like Wilshere; the idea that he strongly values and favours any player coming from La Masia isn't far fetched at all. This is especially true when Pep literally mentions his background when discussing what Garcia brings to City. For many of us, it's something we can't overlook.

Last edited:
I don't think people have any ill will towards him. In fact, his decision to go back to Barca makes perfect sense for a guy that clearly is Barca through and through. The issue is what this whole situation represents.

Here we have a guy that doesn't want to be here. We're a club that even the great Lionel Messi was pleading to join yet here we are with a 19yo that doesn't want to be here, essentially being developed for Barcelona.

I know it's cynical when Blues say he's only here being of his background but, in reality, it's not a ludicrous suggestion. Pep has always maintained La Masia as the best academy in the world, he gave significant playing time to players that had no business at that level. Guys like Jefferen, Cuenca were starting games regularly for Barca. In 2011, Pep stated that La Masia is full of players like Wilshere; the idea that he strongly values and favours any player coming from La Masia isn't far fetched at all. This is especially true when Pep literally mentions his background when discussing what Garcia brings to City. For many of us, it's something we can't overlook.

Wow, what a rubbish post apart from the first 2 sentences.

Eric is not a guy who doesn't want to be at City, he simply doesn't want to extend - he otherwise is fulfilling his contract and wants to return to his hometown club where he played for a decade

Jeffren was a player that helped in the 4th division when Pep began coaching, he brought him to the 1st team due to what he could offer on the wings - which he did, he wasn't heralded as a future BdO winner. Cuenca was outstanding but succumbed to injuries and his career never got back on track

When Pep made the comment about Wilshere it was with players like Thiago, Victor Sanchez, Romeu, Rafinha & Sergi Roberto in mind - all still play in world football. Where is Jack Wilshere?

Eric is not a guy who doesn't want to be at City, he simply doesn't want to extend - he otherwise is fulfilling his contract and wants to return to his hometown club where he played for a decade

Jeffren was a player that helped in the 4th division when Pep began coaching, he brought him to the 1st team due to what he could offer on the wings - which he did, he wasn't heralded as a future BdO winner. Cuenca was outstanding but succumbed to injuries and his career never got back on track

When Pep made the comment about Wilshere it was with players like Thiago, Victor Sanchez, Romeu, Rafinha & Sergi Roberto in mind - all still play in world football. Where is Jack Wilshere?
Doesn’t want to extend cos he doesn’t want to be here. Helps you twats out by going home for free. Utter bullshit to suggest anything else. The fact he’s getting picked given that he doesn’t want to be here grates especially as he’s average at best

I suspect many Blues have issue with the fact we are investing time and energy into a kid that would rather be elsewhere,while we have a player in Stones,who very much wants to be a part of our future,and is looking to rebuild his confidence and fitness,sat on our bench.

It doesnt make sense,and it doesnt add up.

I suspect many Blues have issue with the fact we are investing time and energy into a kid that would rather be elsewhere,while we have a player in Stones,who very much wants to be a part of our future,and is looking to rebuild his confidence and fitness,sat on our bench.

It doesnt make sense,and it doesnt add up.
Especially after letting tosin go for peanuts.

Eric Garcia does not want to be at City. Hence, he pushed for a move this summer to Barcelona and will try to leave again in January. He's bound by his contract to stay; that does not mean it is his wish to do so. If that contract could be null and voided right now and he could go back to Barcelona, he'd already be on the plane there.

A player like Jeffren is exactly my point; serviceable if not spectacular. Pep gave him significant minutes, as he did with Montoya, Cuenca and Fontas. Tello, Barta were another two but have had better careers. The point is these weren't elite young players, they came in, did a good job and Pep trusted them. It appears as though Pep is more inclined to trust players from La Masia. In the case of City, the only young player Pep has trusted outside Garcia has been Foden; an elite young player with genuine world class potential. The standard for La Masia products seems to be serviceable while, for others, they need to be Phil Foden quality.

Wilshere didn't turn out to be the player he could have been because of injuries. But Pep being dismissive of his ability at that time spoke volumes. Thiago was already in the first team squad in 2011, no one else you mentioned was close to Wilshere at the time. You have to recall Wilshere made the PFA TOTY at 19, Arsenal POTY, PFA YPOTY, England caps etc. This was genuinely one of the elite young players in world football.

Stones has shown a lot more capability than Garcia. He was very good before his personal issues and was at a level where he was good enough for the elite level we aspire to be at. Garcia by contrast has not shown anything similar. Maybe he will improve as he gets older but to date he looks slow and ponderous.

What the hell is going on with injuries that we have so many defenders out that Garcia gets to play? - he really should be gone and in the Barce team getting stuffed by Madrid at home.

I don`t hate Garcia, in fact he seem like a decent young adult.

I can`t hate him for wanting to go back to his country and City of birth.

I can`t even hate him for wanting to go for little or nothing and forcing it by saying he will only go to Barcelona. Even though he`s been given a good education both on and off the field by City.

What I`m absolutely incensed about is we are playing him at all. We are giving John Stone`s and Taylor Harwood Bellis limited time to give Garcia further experience through playing. It`s a fucking insult to player who want to be here.

Personally I`d have him cutting the oranges up and making the tea for half-time.

A few papers claim the entire Barcelona board might resign today. Don't see it, but who knows if the next board would wa t him. They would, for free, as a academy player the previous board failed to get in. But doesn't mean they woul Really want him or want him playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.