Maine Road or Etihad

Heart will always be at Maine Road but we had to move on, it’s not the Etihad Stadium thats soulless, it’s the lack of standing and the folk inside it not generating an atmosphere. It can be done but it’s become a spectator sport in both audio and visually. We need another Kippax but it’s not gonna happen ...

Maine Road always had an incredible atmosphere & a raw football feel to it. The expectations was also very low! Lol we used to cheer corners like goals. Maine Road was always about the fans.

Etihad has had some special moments we could only dream of like aaggguuerrooo. It’s a great stadium too but much more about the money than fans.

I guess if you have experienced them both you have been a very lucky blue.

i remember being at Maine road for a night match I think it was against Oldhamabout 92 ish. I was stood on a near deserted kippax waiting for the game, stood under an old fashioned flickering light and leaning on a blue crush bar and just letting the atmosphere soak into me. It didn’t matter that it wasnt a packed bear pit that day, I just felt like I belonged. It might of been a dump, but history and atmosphere dripped out of that stand. I miss the kippax stand but nothing else, even though I only got a few short years in it.

Maine Road always had an incredible atmosphere & a raw football feel to it. The expectations was also very low! Lol we used to cheer corners like goals. Maine Road was always about the fans.

Etihad has had some special moments we could only dream of like aaggguuerrooo. It’s a great stadium too but much more about the money than fans.

I guess if you have experienced them both you have been a very lucky blue.

Ive been blessed in that respect mate.

The Charlton pic is unbelievable, the Kippax was overcrowded that day make no mistake about it. Fuck knows why more didn't go in the corner bit between Platt Lane, quite a lot of room there?

Maine Road was like the Etihad. Great atmosphere at some games but not others. The good old days are only good because they have gone. I think both are fantastic.

As a stadium the Etihad pisses all over Maine Road, but that is it.
Maine Road had everything else over the Etihad, great memories, nostalgia, 4 stands that didn't match up, it was unique, hostile environment ( sometimes ) the smell of burgers and booze, I'd get a tingle as I approached it on a match day, I was excited and nervous, the ginnels, so many pubs, the beehive, parkside, Sherwood, clarence, Albert, Claremont plus others, we even had a social club.
We didn't expect the club to put on a match day experience, we went for the match, we created our own memories, we had golden goal and we listened with interest for half time scores and a manual update of the scoreboard, checking who was game ABC etc, we collected tokens just in case we ever got to a semi or a final.
Maine Road was my youth and growing up years and I wouldn't swap them for anything, loved it and miss it in equal measures.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.