TV Series

Finishes S1 of Dark.

I'll be honest, i thought it was Terrible.

Quite a few people rave about it, so part of me wants to see if there is something to the following seasons.

But i could also easily bin it and never look back.
I did the same and couldn't wait for it to end. The second season is even worse IMO.

I did the same and couldn't wait for it to end. The second season is even worse IMO.
Is it worth enduring for the final third season, in the hope the writers might finally come up with a story and a direction? because it is clear throughout S1, they've got nothing, making it up as they go, mystery for the sake of mystery.

Is it worth enduring for the final third season, in the hope the writers might finally come up with a story and a direction? because it is clear throughout S1, they've got nothing, making it up as they go, mystery for the sake of mystery.
Most people liked the first two but were not that keen on the third because there's a specific storyline change along the way. I don't agree with your view that the writers were making it up as they go, but you'd have to watch all 3 to see why. I feel you might be best dropping it, though.

If you don’t like series 1 then don’t bother as that’s the best series of them all for me. I absolutely loved it, but I thought series 3 just got so complicated and hard to follow that I really had no clue what was going on until the last episode.

Most people liked the first two but were not that keen on the third because there's a specific storyline change along the way. I don't agree with your view that the writers were making it up as they go, but you'd have to watch all 3 to see why. I feel you might be best dropping it, though.

I was in two minds about that, whether they were just milking a premise in the hope some direction towards an ending might strike them at some point, or, whether they suffered from what many such shows tend to suffer from (particularly netflix ones), which i'd call renewal syndrome. Which to me is when just over half way through a season, they find out they've been renewed, and it feels like all of a sudden they have to stretch out storeylines and save things that were seemingly going somewhere for the following seasons.

Basing it on S1 alone, nothing feels like there is any intent behind it. But i take on board that maybe it comes together over the 3 seasons. But the way it went, certain early characters just dropping off a cliff and being forgotten about, or other seemingly significant characters only suddenly being introduced in the last and penultimate episode, similarly some previously never hinted at themes suddenly emerging at the end, makes me think they have been scrambling for a story all along. Somewhat feels like they are relying on the perseverance of the viewer hooked in on a bit of a mystery and (annoyingly overused) repeating sound effects.

I think I probably Do need to stick with it till the end now to hopefully prove myself wrong.

Imho, series like this need two things to work. The story needs to have a holistic beginning and end, and everything needs to at the very least feel like it has always been intended and pre planned. And two, the reveal needs to be good, some let the viewer gradually work it out for themselves (nolan does that best), others rely on a big sudden mouth wide open reveal, that you can then look back at and see existed all along. These set ups live and die by their ending. (why imho s2 and s3 of westworld fail spectacularly)

S1, for me has none of the above. Hence the question whether it does over the full run. It is actually incredibly frustrating the way it ended, and if i had to wait for another season to come out as opposed to being able to binge it, no chance would i continue with it. But i probably will.

I was in two minds about that, whether they were just milking a premise in the hope some direction towards an ending might strike them at some point, or, whether they suffered from what many such shows tend to suffer from (particularly netflix ones), which i'd call renewal syndrome. Which to me is when just over half way through a season, they find out they've been renewed, and it feels like all of a sudden they have to stretch out storeylines and save things that were seemingly going somewhere for the following seasons.

Basing it on S1 alone, nothing feels like there is any intent behind it. But i take on board that maybe it comes together over the 3 seasons. But the way it went, certain early characters just dropping off a cliff and being forgotten about, or other seemingly significant characters only suddenly being introduced in the last and penultimate episode, similarly some previously never hinted at themes suddenly emerging at the end, makes me think they have been scrambling for a story all along. Somewhat feels like they are relying on the perseverance of the viewer hooked in on a bit of a mystery and (annoyingly overused) repeating sound effects.

I think I probably Do need to stick with it till the end now to hopefully prove myself wrong.

Imho, series like this need two things to work. The story needs to have a holistic beginning and end, and everything needs to at the very least feel like it has always been intended and pre planned. And two, the reveal needs to be good, some let the viewer gradually work it out for themselves (nolan does that best), others rely on a big sudden mouth wide open reveal, that you can then look back at and see existed all along. These set ups live and die by their ending. (why imho s2 and s3 of westworld fail spectacularly)

S1, for me has none of the above. Hence the question whether it does over the full run. It is actually incredibly frustrating the way it ended, and if i had to wait for another season to come out as opposed to being able to binge it, no chance would i continue with it. But i probably will.
I actually thought s1 of Dark had all of those things, and to an extent s2 as well. However for me they introduced to many timelines and cross charachters that it just became too much. The very end of s3 does pull it together really well, but there are some big stretches and jumps in the story that really make it hard to follow. For me, s1 was perfect, s2 and s3 even though i really enjoyed it, got lost up its own arse too much.

I actually thought s1 of Dark had all of those things, and to an extent s2 as well. However for me they introduced to many timelines and cross charachters that it just became too much. The very end of s3 does pull it together really well, but there are some big stretches and jumps in the story that really make it hard to follow. For me, s1 was perfect, s2 and s3 even though i really enjoyed it, got lost up its own arse too much.

Westworld in a nutshell, that.

I got through that, this deserves me getting through as well i guess.

Westworld in a nutshell, that.

I got through that, this deserves me getting through as well i guess.
I didnt make it past series 2 on westworld. That really felt like they had no idea at all what they were doing with it long term and looked nailed on to be cancelled. Did you stick with it? Worth watching s3?

I didnt make it past series 2 on westworld. That really felt like they had no idea at all what they were doing with it long term and looked nailed on to be cancelled. Did you stick with it? Worth watching s3?
Same here in fact I'm not sure I even finished season 2 which is rare for me

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.