Bus parking for beginners

Exeter Blue I am here

The quiet triumphalism of Pep signing what is in effect (given that we’re only 8 games into this campaign) a 3 year deal on Thursday, lasted about 48 hours. As long as it took for Jose Mourinho to become the latest manager to exploit an Achilles Heel so large it would probably require a boot from the Apollo XI mission to cover it adequately, in fact.
Bus parking (and associated counterattacking) is not a new phenomenon, but the prevalence of it is, to the point that I’ve begun to relish match day about as much as a trip to the dentist. You know exactly what’s coming and you know it’s going to be painful = like pulling teeth in fact! At the back end of last season United did it to us and won, Chelsea did it to us and won, Southampton did it to us and won, Arsenal did it to us and won, Lyon did it to us and won. Following suit this season, Leicester did it to us and won, West Ham did it to us and drew, Spurs did it to us and won.
10 goals in 8 games tells its own story.
Two years ago we had a turbo charged generational talent in Sane hugging one flank, Sterling hugging the other, Dave sitting between the bank of 5 and the bank of 4. poking little balls inside the full backs, and if anyone managed to smuggle a pass out past the front line press, then Fernandinho would nail the recipient in the blink of an eye, and any parked buses would buckle under the strain eventually.
Those players and that balance have gone from the squad. It takes two men to do Fernandinho’s job, both of them chronically slow and incapable of pressing effectively (with the gormless free kick conceded for ‘shoves from behind’ tally off the scale), Kev looks knackered, Sergio’s another year older, we’ve got inverted wingers floating inswinging balls over to no-one (and harmlessly out over the dead ball line for goal kicks) and don’t even get me started on Mahrez. In short we’ve got a squad built for playing a particular way, but without the attributes to play that way effectively. And yet we keep trying to play that way, even though everyone now knows how to thwart us.
The question is what can we do about it? We can’t wave a magic wand and make Rodri and Gundogan quicker, we can’t force feed Mahrez a king sized tub of Creatine or get him a heart, we can’t prevent Mendy and Walker from making impulsive challenges. So what can we do given the players at our disposal? I don’t have an answer myself, but if we don’t come up with one soon we won’t be playing European football next season, with all the financial implications that will have, cos parked buses are all we’re going to face from here on in. If anyone’s got any ideas please tell Pep quick

Last edited:
The quiet triumphalism of Pep signing what is in effect (given that we’re only 8 games into this campaign) a 3 year deal on Thursday, lasted about 48 hours. As long as it took for Jose Mourinho to become the latest manager to exploit an Achilles Heel so large it would probably require a boot from the Apollo XI mission to cover it adequately, in fact.
Bus parking (and associated counterattacking) is not a new phenomenon, but the prevalence of it is, to the point that I’ve begun to relish match day about as much as a trip to the dentist. You know exactly what’s coming and you know it’s going to be painful = like pulling teeth in fact! At the back end of last season United did it to us and won, Chelsea did it to us and won, Southampton did it to us and won, Arsenal did it to us and won, Lyon did it to us and won. Following suit this season, Leicester did it to us and won, West Ham did it to us and drew, Spurs did it to us and won.
Two years ago we had a turbo charged generational talent in Sane hugging one flank, Sterling hugging the other, Dave sitting between the bank of 5 and the bank of 4. poking little balls inside the full backs, and if anyone managed to smuggle a pass out past the front line press, then Fernandinho would nail the recipient in the blink of an eye, and any parked buses would buckle eventually.
Those players and that balance have gone from the squad. It takes two men to do Fernandinho’s job, both of them chronically slow and incapable of pressing effectively (with the gormless free kick conceded for ‘shoves from behind’ tally off the scale), Kev looks knackered, Sergio’s another year older, we’ve got inverted wingers floating inswinging balls over to no-one (and harmlessly out over the dead ball line for goal kicks) and don’t even get me started on Mahre. In short we’ve got a squad built for playing a particular way, but without the attributes to play that way effectively. And yet we keep trying to play that way, even though everyone now knows how to thwart us.
The question is what can we do about it? We can’t wave a magic wand and make Rodri and Gundogan quicker, we can’t force feed Mahrez a king sized tub of Creatine or get him a heart, we can’t prevent Mendy and Walker from making impulsive challenges. So what can we do given the players at our disposal? I don’t have an answer myself, but if we don’t come up with an answer soon, we won’t be playing European football next season with all the financial implications that will have, cos parked buses are all we’re going to face from here on in. If anyone’s got any ideas please tell Pep quick
one bit of comfort

we are saving a small fortune by

not being allowed into the stadium

and paying for this turgid predictable shit

Last edited:
Some people refuse to accept that we are in bizarre times. Almost back to back seasons and a stupid amount of football. The evidence is right there before your eyes if choose to look at the table and the fixtures. Kev looks knackered? Really? Who knew?

Excellent use of hyperbole though. I doff my cap. If you don’t mind, I won‘t panic.

Two years ago we had a turbo charged generational talent in Sane hugging one flank, Sterling hugging the other, Dave sitting between the bank of 5 and the bank of 4. poking little balls inside the full backs, and if anyone managed to smuggle a pass out past the front line press, then Fernandinho would nail the recipient in the blink of an eye, and any parked buses would buckle eventually.
Those players and that balance have gone from the squad. It takes two men to do Fernandinho’s job, both of them chronically slow and incapable of pressing effectively (with the gormless free kick conceded for ‘shoves from behind’ tally off the scale), Kev looks knackered, Sergio’s another year older, we’ve got inverted wingers floating inswinging balls over to no-one (and harmlessly out over the dead ball line for goal kicks) and don’t even get me started on Mahrez. In short we’ve got a squad built for playing a particular way, but without the attributes to play that way effectively. And yet we keep trying to play that way, even though everyone now knows how to thwart us.
The question is what can we do about it? We can’t wave a magic wand and make Rodri and Gundogan quicker, we can’t force feed Mahrez a king sized tub of Creatine or get him a heart, we can’t prevent Mendy and Walker from making impulsive challenges. So what can we do given the players at our disposal? I don’t have an answer myself, but if we don’t come up with an answer soon, we won’t be playing European football next season with all the financial implications that will have, cos parked buses are all we’re going to face from here on in. If anyone’s got any ideas please tell Pep quick
Couldn't agree more, sadly

We were, in effect, one trick ponies. But what a trick we had!! So brilliant to see.
Now we don't have those surprises up our sleeves anymore.
This highly polished machine is missing some key gears.
It is worrying that we are so bad at the moment. Doesn't look like anything can change either. The personnel just can't play the way previous teams have done.
Seems to be a lack of courage and imagination in the side.
I disagree with folk thinking physical speed in cdm is the answer, it is speed of thought we are short on.
I don't know the answer to the problem, but I sure hope pep does cos things are starting to get fretful.
Maybe we need a low point to bring the hunger and passion back to the team (and I don't think Spurs was it, maybe the Derby will be our season low point to bring the team to their senses), I just don't fucking know anymore

Some people refuse to accept that we are in bizarre times. Almost back to back seasons and a stupid amount of football. The evidence is right there before your eyes if choose to look at the table and the fixtures. Kev looks knackered? Really? Who knew?

Excellent use of hyperbole though. I doff my cap. If you don’t mind, I won‘t panic.
We were shite for most of last season too. Keep burying your head but we aren’t suddenly going to miraculously start playing great free flowing football again with this current team and system. Kev looks like he’s lost pace not like he’s not able to graft, same happened to Sanchez at the same age. Don’t think that’s going to suddenly come back if he has a months rest but would love to be proved wrong.

This is it, the system is maybe not working because the current players are not the best fit for the system or opposing teams are defending spaces we usually exploit better and there has to be some sort of compromise. Pep doesn’t seem keen to make any changes to the system. We had some problems last season when we met parked buses, we had the summer to make some attacking changes but didn’t and we are doing same things we did last season.

We saw last season when Chelsea came to Etihad they wanted to go toe to toe with us, had more possession than us but lost the game, second leg they decided to park the bus and hit us on the counter and it worked for them. I don’t expect the parked bus to stop because it is working for teams that use it.

Can't argue with any of that. I think the lack of pace in midfield is an issue and the inverted wingers tactic has been found out. I do think the players are good enough but the system needs to change. Rodri is being asked to be Fernandihno when really he is more like Gareth Barry. He is excellent for Spain but is not a box-to-box player in my view. We are much stronger and faster with Foden in midfield. Bernardo's form has fallen off a cliff for some reason.
Pep must be aware of all this so hopefully he can remedy it. The false nine tactic has paid off well for us in the past especially in beating United at Old Trafford. It seems to bring the best out of
Bernardo. Like most of us I am baffled by Mahrez on the right wing. His goals and assist stats from that position must be awful.

For me, too many random thoughts to be able to put them out in a structured way.

We don’t get in behind teams any more, too slow building up so now teams are waiting and then doubling up on our winger so it cuts out the ability to play quick passes and triangles in order to create space behind the full back. Consequently means we can’t get central defenders turned facing their own goal.

Teams just happy to defend edge of their box, majority of game yesterday Kane was 10 yards outside his own box, it was painful to watch.

Only ways out of this are play teams at their own game, we are going to have to give up on possession of ball slightly so that the game is spread across more of the pitch. When we do get the ball we need to transition much quicker and start to play the game at pace again. Pick players in positions to suit.

Change of formation is feasible, I know we’ve struggled to have our best players available at times, but 2 up front maybe needs a go?

All I do know is I’m sick to the back teeth of hearing Pep say we played well. Lloris made 2 saves I can think of, both straight at him from the 2 headers from Rodri and Dias. We created very very little so the 22 attempts stat is just massaging the truth.

The football we are currently playing is turgid, very frustrating. Great players looking shite.

Oh, and don’t get me started on individuals, suffice to say that I’d happily never see Mahrez pull our shirt on again.

And he can take Zinchenko, Mendy, Garcia and Gundogan with him.

Excellent post and great summary Ultimately it takes one manager to come up with a system to defeat an opposition’s way of playing. Initially it didn’t work too well because, we were so good but then has you have highlighted things changed, players got older and less effective then left and the replacements have not stepped up, no blame on them as the ones that left were world class. So what’s the answer Plan B whatever that is? One thing for sure is that I hate watching these defence v attack games, especially when we suffer the sucker punch It certainly isn’t why I watch football as it’s boring and I feel a sense of injustice when the opposition’s tactics work as they keep doing so

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.