Olympiacos (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

Sterling-on-side.png
I've no idea with the new rules is his head shoulder offside or not?

Not allowing the opposition to have an easy chance, is that not learning from the Spurs game?

What we actually learned from this game is that our goal chances are snatched, not controlled. We can learn from that.
Hard to say, I don't think they are anywhere near Spurs' level, didn't press us as hard and weren't very adventurous. Happy to say that's us dominating a weaker team, but still unsure if we couldn't do that against Spurs because of the 'lucky' goal and our mentality, or because their quality is better. But you can only play whose isn't front of you, and we did the job.

I think us making errors comes more from that, although I do recognize that our passing, which had taken on some uncharacteristic poor passes against Spurs, was more controlled and accurate.

Agree totally on the goal chances, but that has been a problem for a while now. The perplexing thing is why it has returned - it was an issue in Pep's first season but we seemingly found a way around it. Sure we still missed a lot of chances even in the record winning seasons, but we scored so many that it rarely mattered. Confidence, ability, exhaustion? Just not sure.

Agreed the finishing was pathetic so many chances squandered.
We do look livelier around the box with young Philip Foden in the team I hope that Pep starts him on a more regular basis in the premiership.
“young Philip Foden”?
Brian Clough lives!

Good solid performance but the attack a real worry.
20 chances more or less but like previous games the shots seem to go straight at the keeper or miles wide.
Bernardo and Mendy again poor for me, Mendys crossing in the box, a big part of his game at Monaco is very poor.
The big question is why are we not scoring goals?.

Never quite sure if it’s a result of so much chopping and changing, but when I look at our play both in and around the box, it’s hard to see much understanding between the players; it’d certainly be hard to identify any players in the final third who have a telepathic understanding with each other. They’re all well versed in the Guardiola system but it‘s far less harmonious in the final third.

I have a different impression of this game. Most of you are under the impression that we won because Olympiakos were not very good and that we exhibited the same failings that we have showed all season, an inability to take chances.

You miss one important thing:

• This was a step-change in intensity. Bernardo may not have been great on the ball but he and Foden gave us something we have lacked all season an ability to press the ball all over the pitch.

We need to play like that in every game, or at least start like that and then control a game. If players can not play at that physical level, then they should not be in the side, simple as that.

Pep said much the same afterwards in regards to the way we played.

Good solid performance but the attack a real worry.
20 chances more or less but like previous games the shots seem to go straight at the keeper or miles wide.
Bernardo and Mendy again poor for me, Mendys crossing in the box, a big part of his game at Monaco is very poor.
The big question is why are we not scoring goals?.
Because scoring goals is the hardest thing in football and KDB and Aguero are not in the side and the understanding in our forward play isn't quite there.

Foden will score plenty if he plays. So will Sterling. The chance creation was there.

I am not worried if we play like that each week. The problem is that that was a reaction and a very deliberate effort by the team to increase intensity and in this season I am not sure we can play like that every game.

Look at Liverpool last night. Abject. They switched off.

You know we're not attacking enough. Jesus isn't even getting into offside positions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.