#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were linked to him, this is the Mahrez i thought we would get. The way he would play for Leicester was so different, but he was a big goal threat, while being much more composed in front of goal and often scoring worldies.

In my head, i was expecting a player closer to the level of Salah and IMO Mahrez should be competing at that level. If anyone argues whether he has the same (or more) talent than Salah, they're mad. I know there are a lot of Liverpool fans who get mad at Salah because he often doesn't pass and shoots on sight, just like Mahrez does, but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding and he delivers. If Mahrez can get there, make the difference in games like he should be doing, then fans won't give a shit as much. That's what happened with Sterling.

He's rightly been given a bit of stick when his performances haven't been good, but equally he deserves praise when he plays well, as he did on Saturday. It has to work both ways. Don't think it's fair to say "it was only Burnley". A Premier League hat-trick is no mean feat, regardless of the opposition. Just hope that this is the catalyst to kick start his season now.

I've been critical of him recently as his performances have not been great in my opinion, so it's only fair to praise him also when he plays well. He played a blinder on Saturday, so fair play to him. Let's hope it continues, if he can play like that every week it will be a massive boost.

He's rightly been given a bit of stick when his performances haven't been good, but equally he deserves praise when he plays well, as he did on Saturday. It has to work both ways. Don't think it's fair to say "it was only Burnley". A Premier League hat-trick is no mean feat, regardless of the opposition. Just hope that this is the catalyst to kick start his season now.
well, when it's a typical trait of him to not deliver on his full potential when it matters then it's not a surprise when people aren't like "wow" when he massages his stats. The real praise comes by improving his team ethic, adapting his game and earning credit in the bank by winning us key, tight games with big goals and creating them for others. It's why England thrashing Iceland doesn't get the same plaudits as if they beat Belgium would, do it when it matters against the best. Players like Sterling had credit in the bank for 17/18 and 18/19 but even Pep has acknowledged that's burned through now, so players like Mahrez who've had no credit in the bank since blazing the pen at Anfield really have to earn their stripes by going above and beyond. We keep saying "Maybe now", like Jesus, it's about time they just did it.

You're in the minority, to the general consensus he was and that's the narrative I'll choose to go with.
well not in my opinion, which counts for as much as yours. And both our opinions really count for nowt as its Peps call. I just happen to disagree with you as he scores goals against weak opposition imo. When the going gets tough he doesnt show up. Not what you need from your record buy. At the weekend he was great, he hit Burnley on the break, the problem is most teams sit and defend deep against us and then he is far less effective. Lets agree to dissagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.