Porto (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

I'm not sure I know what our best team is right now, so I hope Pep does. I think we missed Stones moving the ball forward quickly, Mendy adding pace down the wings, and De Bruyne and Gundogan in the middle, but there have been similarly flat games with all of those players. I think Sterling needs a rest, and we are desperate for another striker in January. Beyond that, jobs done. I just don't know if this was a reverting to form this season or a street smart away performance where we really didn't need to win.
I agree with most of what you’re saying but like you say job done. Most important thing tonight was resting key players and getting a result that we needed.

He does this every season.

He’s flat for a few weeks and then plays like the best player in Europe for a few weeks.

It’s worth it anyway imo to have that talent on the pitch, even for the odd flat period.
Its no coincidence that we are struggling to score at the same time as he is flat. Hes no good to us flat.

OK. But I thinks it's coming. You can tell we are quicker than a few weeks ago. A lot of those attempts are shots blocked by a 10 man defence. We'll see.
Just to add that some of the chances were difficult, such as Sterling just making the one on one where the keeper reacted very well. Again, how well did the keeper do overall, stopped at least 3 others that seemed dead cert’s. And not to mention Dias’ perfect defending, at the wrong end.

Oh well main thing is the job is done. Thank god for the Burnley game though otherwise we'd have a record of 62 shots and 1 goal in the last 3 matches.
I think that disallowed 'goals' should be counted as goals in this stat.
I mean they aren't exactly misses or saved!

Job done. No complaints BUT Sterling is not doing it for me anymore. Gone 6 now without a goal. Often loses the ball. Runs into blind alleys. Just not good enough. He may give his all but he has to score and regularly. Id take 80mill for him now and buy a top goalscorer.
We’d be looking for double that mate and I’d take it.

I think he tries his best but for 18 months haven’t been able to work out how he contributes to our performances.

He’ll play crap for 80mins and get a tap-in or assist and then justifies starting the next game. We need him attacking full backs at every opportunity and either beating them or winning free kicks. Too many times he takes the easy option and passes backwards/inside after slowing an attack down.

And it’s correct when a players toenail or armpit is offside. Either way it’s ruined the sport.
I'm sure that someone on here mentioned that in Eredivisie they use 'Ref's decision' on anything where there is a 10cm issue.. sort of like cricket with Umpire's decision (and they have proper, comprehensive scrutiny on decisions).
What's that in UK measure - 3/4 inches. FFS Mike Riley doesn't even want his charges going to the pitchside monitors so no chance there.

OK. But I thinks it's coming. You can tell we are quicker than a few weeks ago. A lot of those attempts are shots blocked by a 10 man defence. We'll see.

The lack of goals is frustrating the hell out of all of us.

We need to try something different, but, I don't see any innovation, especially from our corners.

No midfield runners breaking the lines, no one-two's which YaYa loved and so hard to defend against.

FYI, we dominated against the Portuguese Champions and #1 seed, have gone through as #1 in the Group Stage with a game to spare, and their keeper made about 4 dead cert goal saves.

At least half the team got a rest, this weekend should also allow for some rest, next week’s CL game is a dead rubber and then the starting line-up will have had the most rest they’ve had all season for the Derby and the busy Christmas season!

No complaints. A few lads put in good performances, defence looked pretty solid, Sterling struggling a bit, Torres doesn’t look out of place through the middle, back up FBs got a game, Ferna got 90mins in his legs, Foden was excellent and busy, while Bernardo had his best game for awhile.

All in all, a good Tuesday night game and an extra day to recover.

Totally agree. We had a significantly shorter break between last season and this than any other Prem team, and were understandably jaded and fatigued. We're getting our zip back. The goals will come. Some on this forum expect us to perform like robots. They just don't get it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.