Two more retail companies look doomed

I haven’t been near the Arndale since the early 80s.
It was a life sucking hole then and if it’s anything like the Trafford Centre I will never go in again.
Costa and chains like that are also contributing to the killing of the local high street driving out small independents.

Just see an insolvency ‘expert‘ on the BBC News comically claiming that in circumstances such as these an Insolvency Practitioner‘s absolute priority is the best interests of the creditors. No it isn’t, you lying ****, it’s getting their fat fucking fee. Absolute fucking racket. Most dishonest profession out there.

Some fucking expert.

Just see an insolvency ‘expert‘ on the BBC News comically claiming that in circumstances such as these an Insolvency Practitioner‘s absolute priority is the best interests of the creditors. No it isn’t, you lying ****, it’s getting their fat fucking fee. Absolute fucking racket. Most dishonest profession out there.

Some fucking expert.
And it's absolute cocks like him and higher level management who have no concept of what really goes on on the shop floor.

How the majority of staff are on low wages and are under huge pressure to hit sales targets, having to deal with big expections from customers and how a lot of staff work their bollocks off and work many hours unpaid to keep shops going.

I know as I've been there and done that.

I love working in the retail sector and have spent nearly all my adult life working in it but watching people like that really fucking winds me up.

It's an unbelievably tough sector to be in and I've experienced big lows but also great highs and even after just under 30 years I still get enormous satisfaction from a customer and saying thank you after I've helped them out

And it's absolute cocks like him and higher level management who have no concept of what really goes on on the shop floor.

How the majority of staff are on low wages and are under huge pressure to hit sales targets, having to deal with big expections from customers and how a lot of staff work their bollocks off and work many hours unpaid to keep shops going.

I love working in the retail sector and have spent nearly all my adult life working in it but watching people like that really fucking winds me up.

It's an unbelievably tough sector to be in and I've experienced big lows but also great highs and even after just under 30 years I still get enormous satisfaction from a customer and saying thank you after I've helped them out

Yep - you consider him, Philip Green this cabinet - all illustrate the dearth of talent making the big decisions in this country

We will sorely miss Debenhams as it was the only pleasure we both achieved outside of E-commerce. Goodbye Goodbye and ciao arrivederci to afternoon tea with a cream cake of your choice for only £3.95 after 14:00 hours. The world we currently reside in is slowly going stark staring mad and the demise of the department stores is a step in the wrong direction. Who will clothe us both in quality attire for abject pennies if they should fall, because I can tell you this most solemnly, we would sooner take a vaccine than shop in Primark!

Time to Say Goodbye

Last edited:
COVID has not helped but bad management, an increase in rents in the high street and crucially high street stores not adapting to the growth of internet shopping and not updating their online business models will mean this will be the new normal now for more high street retailers.
This. I bought an audiobook the other day and was looking around to see if Waterstones did them or perhaps something a bit more independent. In the end, my two options were Amazon/Audible or Google. So in other words, two companies based outside the UK who avoid UK taxes.

I still can't be arsed buying clothes online though. I bought a couple of t-shirts today and it was so good to go into the shop to realise that the t-shirt I originally had my eye on was made of some weird clingy material that showed every contour of my gut. That's the sort of insight you don't get online, and sure you can return them, but who can be arsed with that sort of thing. I don't want to spend a week buying a t-shirt that's the right size.

Great post that, mate.

Great post that, mate.
I will echo that sentiment Gordon but it's also achievable from the perspective of online sales. I love reality shopping as retail therapy has a desirable effect on us elder folk but sometimes things are more geared toward E-commerce. Thank you Sky and thank you so much Mr Celtic fan for our 45 minutes of undulating banter and thank you also to 3 Network for make that call free.

This. I bought an audiobook the other day and was looking around to see if Waterstones did them or perhaps something a bit more independent. In the end, my two options were Amazon/Audible or Google. So in other words, two companies based outside the UK who avoid UK taxes.

I still can't be arsed buying clothes online though. I bought a couple of t-shirts today and it was so good to go into the shop to realise that the t-shirt I originally had my eye on was made of some weird clingy material that showed every contour of my gut. That's the sort of insight you don't get online, and sure you can return them, but who can be arsed with that sort of thing. I don't want to spend a week buying a t-shirt that's the right size.
Remember when there was the two big Waterstones shops in town about a minute walk between them.

Those days are long gone.

As a customer it's a real bonus meeting staff who want you to leave a store happy, all the time in the world for staff in shops who have that mindset.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.