Reading Challenge 2021

Right, time to get this one underway. I'm gonna try and read 25 books this year, I think.

1. Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell

43890641._SY475_.jpg

I started reading this just before new year. Just finished it and to be honest, it would have appeared in my top 20 list if I'd read it before that poll. It's incredible.

Basically a historical novel about the life of Shakespeare's family. It's split into two sections. The first has two storylines interlaced, with the first being about Shakespeare (never explicitly named) meeting his future wife and starting his family, and the second being the lead up to the death of one of the children (not a spoiler - it's mentioned on the blurb on the back cover). The second part of the book is the family coming to terms after the death. Definitely recommend this one.

I did the 7 harry Potter audiobooks a few months ago.

Would like to do the stand, nos4a2, jurassic Park, animal farm, 1984, continue with the passage trilogy, the ball is round, the terror, audiobooks like that. I can't concentrate on reading novels nowadays. I like reading comics on my tablet though.

Last edited:
I did the 8 harry Potter audiobooks a few months ago.

Would like to do the stand, nos4a2, jurassic Park, animal farm, 1984, continue with the passage trilogy, the ball is round, the terror, audiobooks like that. I can't concentrate on reading novels nowadays. I like reading comics on my tablet though.
Graphic novels are fine. Anything over 50 pages, as long as it's available as a single book really. And yeah, audiobooks count.

Graphic novels are fine. Anything over 50 pages, as long as it's available as a single book really. And yeah, audiobooks count.
Yeah I knew audiobooks counted after reading the op. As for comics and graphic novels, do multiple issues of a comic count? Cos on a good week I can get through about 100 23 page issues

Yeah I knew audiobooks counted after reading the op. As for comics and graphic novels, do multiple issues of a comic count? Cos on a good week I can get through about 100 23 page issues
I guess if it's a single story. A lot of novels were originally released as serials, after all.

My only knowledge of comics comes from the Beano back in the day. It could get messy if you've got multiple stories published in the same comic starting and ending in different issues, I guess.

I guess if it's a single story. A lot of novels were originally released as serials, after all.
It would be like morrisons batman or jla run. Or numerous writers daredevil. Or bendis ultimate spiderman. I did 90 issues of the boys a couple months ago. Think of it as comics version of long form tv shows to graphic novels or books' versions of shorter movies.

My only knowledge of comics comes from the Beano back in the day. It could get messy if you've got multiple stories published in the same comic starting and ending in different issues, I guess.
Yeah thats what trades are. They collect story arcs of like 4 to 8 issues into one longer volume. Theyre different from a graphic novel as a gn tells one complete story whereas a trade is a number of issues collected from a series.

For instance issues 1 to 4 of the dark Knight returns and 1 to 13 of the long halloween are collected as a graphic novel. Thats the complete storyline. But issues 1 to 6 of walking dead are merely the first trade of a 32 trade series lasting 193 issues. Whereas persepolis for example, or watchmen or from hell, are also graphic novels of either fewer compiled issues or one long issue.

Usually have 2 on go at a time. One on Kindle app on mobile and one paperback/hardback. Currently First in to Sangin on app and Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen) paperback

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.