Reading Challenge 2021

I'm going for 15 this year (I use to read a lot more when I used the tube/ public transport etc). I watch a lot of Netflix and sport.

About to finish The Hacienda - Peter Hook

On my list I have..

Unknown Pleasures - Peter Hook
Substance - Peter Hook
Armageddon - Max Hastings

I do this on Goodreads. My target is 37. Always go for 1 more than the year before.

Am currently reading "The taking of Annie Thorne" by C J Tudor. Really enjoying it but must say it is a complete rip off of a Stephen King novel. No spoilers

Tried an audio book.
Not for me.Fell asleep and found it boring.
Try speeding it up if you were listening on regular speed. Often the books are for older people or those hard of hearing so are deliberately slow, as is the case with Stephen fry harry Potter performances.

No way I’ll get 25 done in a year as I love watching films too much.

About a quarter of the way through The Golden Compass which I started on Saturday. Also about half way through A song of Ice and Fire which I started last month.

No way I’ll get 25 done in a year as I love watching films too much.

About a quarter of the way through The Golden Compass which I started on Saturday. Also about half way through A song of Ice and Fire which I started last month.
If you like the golden compass you'll enjoy his dark materials, the TV show the books are based on. I've seen the first season and it's great.

I finished Norse Gods by Neil Gaiman. A retelling of the old myths centred around Odin, Thor, Loki et al. Plenty of humour in this collection but a little light for me as I tend to prefer the darker stories from this particular author. Will be interesting to compare with Stephen Fry's Mythos & Heroes which are also sitting on my tbr shelves.

Next up for me will be a rare diversion into non-fiction with The Boy Who Could Change the World: The Writings of Aaron Swartz. Been meaning to read this since watching the documentary The Internet's Own Boy.

One of my favourite discoveries of 2020 was the lost American hard boiled crime writer Ralph Dennis, whose gritty 70s Atlanta-based Hardman novels were finally republished in ebook format. I completed the last of his books yesterday, The New Five, which was based around a college basketball team.
Now onto Vengeance, a Mystery Writers of America short story compilation based on the theme of revenge, some good stuff in that

1. Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell
2. Don't Believe a Word by David Shariatmadari

dont-believe-a-word-625x1000.jpg

Another one I started last year and finished this. It's a pretty good overview of common language myths you hear and why they're wrong (e.g. the idea of untranslatable words, language become worse over time, some languages being better than others, the idea that a word's original meaning is relevant to its current meaning). It gets quite technical at times, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really interested in the topic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.