COVID Watch

During the AFL season the players lived in hubs ( designated resorts etc ) , travelled to games and self -isolated when appropriate for 14 days.

2 players from memory tested positive after the season was delayed and recommenced after round 1.

Only 8 different venues were used for the 18 team league and 16 rounds were played plus finals.

The squads consisted of 41 players and most were used because games were played with some teams playing up to 3 times in 10 days which never usually happens the game is played normally over 2 hours and much more physical , taxing on the body and recovery takes much longer than playing a game of football or soccer as we call it over here.

Wives , children and key staff were all allowed to stay in the hubs.

Now admittedly we bar Victoria had strict hotel quarantine for 14 days for positive cases and much better contract tracing than in the UK for example where I assume given the number of cases contract tracing is practically non existent or a waste of time and money and resources because our daily numbers were bar Victoria never above 50 and most days in single figures.

The sheer number of games needed to be played in the premier league means such an arrangement is difficult if nigh impossible to manage.

I doubt many of the players , staff who have tested positive to date actually know nor do the NHS for that matter where and who they obtained the virus from but I can guess many of them if not all did not have it transmitted to them by another positive player who was positive at the club ie picked it up during training , while eating . sleeping and doing the things players do at the club although that can happen you only need one positive especially not showing symptoms not tested and found negative before entering the ground for that to occur.

You have to realise if not in a hub 24/7 that is covid free players who live lives at home etc and travel from home to work are far more likely to pick it up outside the club but unless you do a speed test every time you enter the ground and you are positive obviously you can transmit it to another player.

Pretty sure Mendy , Gundy, Laporte ( both of whom took a bit of hit with it , I reckon Laporte is still not nearly 100 per cent ( we will find out when he writes his life story perhaps ) have had the virus so please correct if I am wrong that makes 9 first teamers to date.

I am surprised to date its only 9 and that indicates to me that most of them if not all picked it up outside the confines of the club.

its going to take a player or manager to get hospitalized before anything is done to stop football at premier league level ? its crazy that players are being risked ? dare i defend manchester city stance on wanting to play on after so many cases or are they being made to play on

pep said he wanted to play the everton game and was already to go but it got cancelled at the last minute
so why was the chelsea game played if the same amount of cases was reported and all 6 of them was still in covid-19 isolation ? make no sense

now another 2 players are added to the list and still we are playing on ? it should be a closed shop and why would anybody want to mix or play football with a squad full of covid-19 victims ?

Pretty sure Mendy , Gundy, Laporte ( both of whom took a bit of hit with it , I reckon Laporte is still not nearly 100 per cent ( we will find out when he writes his life story perhaps ) have had the virus so please correct if I am wrong that makes 9 first teamers to date.

I am surprised to date its only 9 and that indicates to me that most of them if not all picked it up outside the confines of the club.
Mahrez had it too

Many thanks Bell I forgot that one.

So 10 down and 12 to go unless someone gets it more than once.

Possibly Fulham only close to us in numbers as far as the premiership goes.
The only positive here is that a lot of our players will now be immune for the business end of the season (assuming they avoid long Covid) and other clubs are yet to be badly hit. The infection levels are so high at present that no club will avoid this situation.
That said I would support the season being suspended for the next six weeks to allow vaccinations to be implemented and the infection risk to recede (as long as the Euros are cancelled)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.