Brighton (h) post-match thread

I have no idea why he took that penalty.

Have watched it over ,and over again ,his posture is shocking.

It is not just a problem with penalties either.

He has consistently shown that if he has time to think about what he has to do next. Then he loses all composure.

No idea why this is.

He can make a great run get in to the Box, then "BOOM" brain Freeze, loses the Ball, dispossessed whilst thinking about what to do next. It happens a lot,9 out of every 10 runs come to nothing and start counter attacks.

Same thing happens if the Ball comes to him in the Box and he has to think about it.Often he panics and just lashes at it.

I wonder does he have problems with anxiety, that affects him.

He should just stick to being a winger.

Agreed, it looked like he had eradicated this but going backwards

It baffles me. Pep probably spends hours on tactics all week to prepare for the game, drilling instructions into the team and when it comes to penalties it’s almost

“right lads if you get a pen do what you want”

Mahrez took the penalty at Anfield when he had missed 3 of his last 5. Sterling missed two last season.

We have missed 7 of our last 15.

We failed to beat our biggest rival by missing a pen.

We can’t keep doing this because one day it will cost us again and we can’t afford that currently.

I get a feeling still that KDB doesn’t really like taking them which for someone who can thread a pass through the eye of a needle from 30 yards away seems strange.
Five penalties in one game [both sides] is the record to beat.

Agreed, it looked like he had eradicated this but going backwards
The mental side of football has never seemed more important. I think players have reacted in different ways during this Covid crisis. Some have stepped up and some have regressed. Sterling really does look shot mentally after his Lyon miss. Likewise Bernardo went into his shell after the racism row (thankfully now recovering) John Stones' problems seemed to be in his head but he has shown real resilience.
This season seems impossible to predict. The whole country is under stress (including footballers and their families) I think Pep's emotions have also been up and down though he seems to be calm at the moment. Whoever wins the title in this crazy season will deserve credit...if only for showing such mental strength.

Sterling's never been great at 1v1s, but that Lyon miss really seemed to have left a mark on him. If so, hope he recovers from it, cuz we need him flying again.

I've been saying similar for years now. Pep has enough staff and coaches to work on this where the aim should be to achieve 100% success from the spot.

Id expect maybe one or two misses tops in 10 pens. We run at 54% in last 2 seasons. It’s amazing we have won 2 finals on pens !

Think pep has seen it aswell hence the urgency to get another central midfielder in .
Or, maybe the fact that he is a virtual ever-present, and thus not getting any rest...and his main back-up is about to leave!

Rodri is an almost automatic choice. If you can’t see what he does for the team structure and ball playing, I can’t help you.

46A3B29F-2B66-4868-9627-D99D08591558.jpeg

I have no idea why he took that penalty.

Have watched it over ,and over again ,his posture is shocking.

It is not just a problem with penalties either.

He has consistently shown that if he has time to think about what he has to do next. Then he loses all composure.

No idea why this is.

He can make a great run get in to the Box, then "BOOM" brain Freeze, loses the Ball, dispossessed whilst thinking about what to do next. It happens a lot,9 out of every 10 runs come to nothing and start counter attacks.

Same thing happens if the Ball comes to him in the Box and he has to think about it.Often he panics and just lashes at it.

I wonder does he have problems with anxiety, that affects him.

He should just stick to being a winger.
The number of tap-ins he misses (or very nearly misses) is unbelievable for a supposed forward who is sometimes our top scorer.

If we had a fox in the box, we would have an outstanding goal difference this season, given our defensive displays.

There was much discussion a few seasons ago about Pep actually having to teach him to take the ball on the half turn, because the cameras caught it in training!

The lad was already being paid almost £10M/yr, plus sponsorships, and an established England international! UFB!!!

I can’t remember the last time he beat someone one on one, or gave a killer pass for a goal, or actually surprised anyone with a snapshot that scored or even we scored on the rebound.

It’s great that he “plays with a smile on his face,” but sooner or later you have to expect more for £10M, don’t you?!

If all of our forwards were fit, he couldn’t get a game on current form.

Torres or Jesus gets the nod on the left, and Jesus hasn’t done much recently, either!

The number of tap-ins he misses (or very nearly misses) is unbelievable for a supposed forward who is sometimes our top scorer.

If we had a fox in the box, we would have an outstanding goal difference this season, given our defensive displays.

There was much discussion a few seasons ago about Pep actually having to teach him to take the ball on the half turn, because the cameras caught it in training!

The lad was already being paid almost £10M/yr, plus sponsorships, and an established England international! UFB!!!

I can’t remember the last time he beat someone one on one, or gave a killer pass for a goal, or actually surprised anyone with a snapshot that scored or even we scored on the rebound.

It’s great that he “plays with a smile on his face,” but sooner or later you have to expect more for £10M, don’t you?!

If all of our forwards were fit, he couldn’t get a game on current form.

Torres or Jesus gets the nod on the left, and Jesus hasn’t done much recently, either!
There is a wage slip doing the rounds on WhatsApp the last couple of days, looks like a council tip worker found it and shared it, breaking all manner of data protection laws.
Won’t post it but the numbers suggest he could afford a shredder!

What saves did Ederson have to make? What chances did BHA have where you think, “He really should have scored that”?

We were struggling a bit in midfield at times but, although they are a good side, they never seriously threatened our goal.

A hard-earned three points. Well done, lads. Onwards and upwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.