United thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find the build up to this game to be a fascinating exercise in counterfactual propositions! The first is that this is likely to be a titanic struggle between the two heavyweights of the European game. This obviously ignores the Salford reds descent into the Europa league and their drubbing by Spurs - funnily enough their last 6-1 hammering at home coincided with their demotion to the Europa league! Similarly Liverpool met with humiliation on a visit to Birmingham but have not restored their reputation with 1 goal in their last 3 PL matches. When it is also noted that the scousers have conceded 21 goals in PL so far and the rags 24 it seems unlikely that the game will be a 0-0 stalemate; it could indeed see several goals but NOT because of the inventive genius of the two attacks. The encouragement for Liverpool is that they have won 2 and drawn one of their 3 home games since the beginning of December and their home form could see them scrape through, though the teams they have faced, both home and away have not been teams in the best form by any means. United have played 4 PL matches away from home since the beginning of December and have won 3 and drawn one. This seems good form, but they have struggled in all of them and with the exception of Leicester the opposition were teams United should have beaten and none seem as formidable as the scousers at Anfield. In conclusion I see it largely as a duel of negatives: can a fanless Klanfield inspire a leaky Liverpool to overcome a vulnerable rag ensemble just as likely to be able to call on a favour from VAR as their hosts. I can't decide - it's as likely that tomorrow's headlines proclaim Anfield completely impregnable as they do the world's biggest club as the first in an age to come away from it with a win after the greatest match ever. A draw then.

I do find the build up to this game to be a fascinating exercise in counterfactual propositions! The first is that this is likely to be a titanic struggle between the two heavyweights of the European game. This obviously ignores the Salford reds descent into the Europa league and their drubbing by Spurs - funnily enough their last 6-1 hammering at home coincided with their demotion to the Europa league! Similarly Liverpool met with humiliation on a visit to Birmingham but have not restored their reputation with 1 goal in their last 3 PL matches. When it is also noted that the scousers have conceded 21 goals in PL so far and the rags 24 it seems unlikely that the game will be a 0-0 stalemate; it could indeed see several goals but NOT because of the inventive genius of the two attacks. The encouragement for Liverpool is that they have won 2 and drawn one of their 3 home games since the beginning of December and their home form could see them scrape through, though the teams they have faced, both home and away have not been teams in the best form by any means. United have played 4 PL matches away from home since the beginning of December and have won 3 and drawn one. This seems good form, but they have struggled in all of them and with the exception of Leicester the opposition were teams United should have beaten and none seem as formidable as the scousers at Anfield. In conclusion I see it largely as a duel of negatives: can a fanless Klanfield inspire a leaky Liverpool to overcome a vulnerable rag ensemble just as likely to be able to call on a favour from VAR as their hosts. I can't decide - it's as likely that tomorrow's headlines proclaim Anfield completely impregnable as they do the world's biggest club as the first in an age to come away from it with a win after the greatest match ever. A draw then.
You are Lucky from Waiting for Godot and I claim my £5 sir!

One of Pep's greatest strengths is that he is always totally respectful to our opposition. Meanwhile our players stay away from the media in the run up to games. We do our talking on the pitch. When we played Real Madrid last season we had a barrage of abuse in the media, including lots from Tebas about our lack of class, FFP, and history etc. We rammed it down their throats.
Very good post. The only correction I would make is that our players do not stay away from the media in the run up to games. They have no need to - the media stay well clear of our lads.

The fawning of these two shithouses is off the scale in fact I wouldn’t be surprised regardless of result,if the post match debate carries on into our game with palace with the presenter saying something like “oh and by the way they’ve kicked off at the Eithad but we‘ll concentrate on the aftermath of the liverpool man utd game for now “.

United are a clear level below City/Liverpool and may even be a rung below Spurs. This Pool/United fixture is really showcasing how inferior they are. Can't even play through the midfield against an out of form Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.