Buying a car during lockdown

Yep...I get what you're saying, and having a lump sum is a big part of the problem. But I'm ok spending that per month for a really nice brand new car that I won't have any issues with.
As are thousands of others, which is why PCP/contract hire has become so popular. The vast majority of what you’re paying is for depreciation. Of course you’ll suffer less depreciation on a secondhand car but having a branny is nice. Feel-good factor, new car smell, good warranty, no MoT’s.

Each to their own. At various times in my life I’ve bought new, bought secondhand, driven company cars and done contract hire. Cash, HP, personal loan. Every acquisition method bar nicking them. Each has had its pros and cons.

Last edited:
I think the illustration given must have been for an expensive car. You can bag no deposit pcp for around the £170-£200 monthly and then just hand it back at the end. Nice and simples and cost effective when you consider bus fares.
A lot of people like the reassurance of a new car for the reliability factor for their daily commute.
We own our new wheels now but not out of choice. We will probably run this one now until it's tongue drops out.

I think the illustration given must have been for an expensive car. You can bag no deposit pcp for around the £170-£200 monthly and then just hand it back at the end. Nice and simples and cost effective when you consider bus fares.
A lot of people like the reassurance of a new car for the reliability factor for their daily commute.
We own our new wheels now but not out of choice. We will probably run this one now until it's tongue drops out.
PCP's are like fixed mortgages. Expensive but a known and predictable cost. A lot of folk don't have either the few grand to put down or the monthly headroom in the budget, but if you do it's sort of worth it for worry free motoring in a decent car that's young enough to be nice and not have issues. I'm a tight **** so drove <£500 cars on a wing and a prayer for years, and even since I've earned a decent wage just bought sub £3k 5-10 yr old things with FSH and hoped for the best. I've had good luck and bad. What I would say is sellers on autotrader are just as aware of book price as buyers, and if something seems to be going for a grand or two less than it's worth there is probably an expensive underlying issue or it's not as described.

PCP's are like fixed mortgages. Expensive but a known and predictable cost. A lot of folk don't have either the few grand to put down or the monthly headroom in the budget, but if you do it's sort of worth it for worry free motoring in a decent car that's young enough to be nice and not have issues. I'm a tight **** so drove <£500 cars on a wing and a prayer for years, and even since I've earned a decent wage just bought sub £3k 5-10 yr old things with FSH and hoped for the best. I've had good luck and bad. What I would say is sellers on autotrader are just as aware of book price as buyers, and if something seems to be going for a grand or two less than it's worth there is probably an expensive underlying issue or it's not as described.
Cost effective motoring if you fall good and as you rightly say apply damage limitation with a full (documented) history an hpi check and good to go. As a general rule cars are a lot better built than they used to be and if you can pull 3 years for a grand a year that's damn good value at a score a week. Horses for courses though and each to their own. A brand new one will smash the wallet for depreciation in it's early years but not if you keep it to the death. A 12k car over 12 years ownership carries the same score a week but safe to the knowledge that you know its background and istory.

Cost effective motoring if you fall good and as you rightly say apply damage limitation with a full (documented) history an hpi check and good to go. As a general rule cars are a lot better built than they used to be and if you can pull 3 years for a grand a year that's damn good value at a score a week. Horses for courses though and each to their own. A brand new one will smash the wallet for depreciation in it's early years but not if you keep it to the death. A 12k car over 12 years ownership carries the same score a week but safe to the knowledge that you know its background and istory.
I remember my dad buying one of BL's finest, a Triumph Toledo new in 1973 (about £400 I think). Underseal up to the sills on day one but it was always breaking down and scrapped 4 years later due to rust underneath. Proper BL 'Friday afternoon job' He drove second hand Ladas after that and the tight-fistedness has rubbed off on me!

I remember my dad buying one of BL's finest, a Triumph Toledo new in 1973 (about £400 I think). Underseal up to the sills on day one but it was always breaking down and scrapped 4 years later due to rust underneath. Proper BL 'Friday afternoon job' He drove second hand Ladas after that and the tight-fistedness has rubbed off on me!

Just finished tickling this photo back to life only an hour a go. It's still wet so be careful.
Our Ford Anglia circa 63 with a Rochdale DK plate modeled to perfection by me and our kid.

i5vHKCD.jpg

Just look at them gas lit caravans : )

Just finished tickling this photo back to life only an hour a go. It's still wet so be careful.
Our Ford Anglia circa 63 with a Rochdale DK plate modeled to perfection by me and our kid.

i5vHKCD.jpg

Just look at them gas lit caravans : )
Sun shining, green grass and your whole life ahead - happy days mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.