Cheltenham Town (A) | Post-Match Thread

I do agree with you on Flitcroft by the way. Pretty sure one of his first games was the cup tie at QPR when Ray Ranson got signed on an emergency loan, played centre half and was completely dominant.

I remember Sturridges performance in the youth cup final, scored a worldy and was head and shoulders above everyone else, but then got a long term injury. I thought he was the real deal, but never really kicked on.

It could be argued Trippier has had the the most successful career to come from the modern day academy, discounting Foden.
Sturridge was always handicapped by his ego

What was with all the long balls yesterday? It was like they abandoned the possession play and working the opposition making them chase the ball. Kudos to Cheltenham they went for it, it got towards the last 10 minutes and I thought it wasn’t going to be City’s day. Some of our fringe players should have been chomping at the bit to give Pep a nudge to pick them in the games coming up. Instead it was the form guys from the bench to dig us out of a hole.

I always get the impression that Pep enjoys going to these places he's never heard of, to tiny, obscure grounds, for a "real" game of football, he always mentions how football clubs like Cheltenham Town, dotted all over the country, are so much a part of their community and English football history. He's a football man to his bones after all.

We might not thinks twice about this country being the home of football, the history stretching back centuries, but when Pep says he loves walking the team out for the FA Cup Final, the oldest national football cup competition in the world, founded in 1871, I get the impression he really means it.

I think Pep loves walking his team out for any final but I agree that he thinks the FA Cup is special and I've no doubt he wants to win it again.

Yes mate no arguments there. I was thinking Trippier because He has left, england caps, playing for Athletico and his ‘succcess’ in his career might not be judged or skewed by our success but how good a player he has been for a number of years.

Mee
Kasper

Most pleasing for me was once again, we never panicked and didn't change our style trying to force a goal.

Rags would have been hoof and hope, with players throwing themselves to the ground as soon as they were in the box.

Our players have total belief in their ability and game plan, well done all.

Good point. I know Tozer claimed that he thought Cheltenham had City a bit rattled but, if they did, it didn't last long and City stayed pretty calm. May have helped bringing Gundo and Dias on in terms of influencing that.

In some ways, that last ten minutes or so was the most encouraging I've seen this season.

Completely agree. Matches like this is why the FA cup has been so great over the years, teams will raise their level and players will perform like they have have never before and most may never again. Those players were just happy to give us a game. I actually think it’s harder to play these teams than it is against a prem team for a cup match because they have nothing to lose. Don’t think we can read to much into the individual performance from today, except for Mahrez who just isn’t good enough for this team imo.
Agree with your general points but with respect to Mahrez, IMO he's more than good enough. In fact he's good enough to be guaranteed to start.

The problem is I just don't think he really tries hard enough. Sure he runs around a bit but is he REALLY giving it everything? Seems to me he'll make a bit of a sprint here or there, and then break into a jog just before he reaches the player with the ball. He falls over as soon as you look at him. Genuinely I struggle to think of a single player in the entire Premier League who is as easily knocked off the ball as he is. It's embarrassing at times.

If you look at Foden, he plays every game like his life depends on it. He leaves nothing on the pitch. Mahrez plays like its a pre-season friendly.

Last edited:
Think thats a little harsh tbh, thought Doyle in particular had a good first half, played some intelligent and accurate passes, and his crossing was only missing a target man in the middle, but thats equally valid whoever puts the ball in. THB did OK without being exceptional, but of the two full backs he was the more solid by some margin
Fair challenge, but with THB I’m not sure he has the pace for what we need and his assurance on the ball failed when compared to Garcia. Neither are tall nor pacy, but what differentiated them was the latter’s decision making on the ball. I don’t think Garcia is good enough for us either.

Doyle,he’s decent and always puts a shift in but there was nothing that made me feel we had a gem, just a solid player. I’m not writing him off, just if not now, then when, cos he won’t get chances again until next season now?

If we hadn’t fucked up against Arsenal we would be on for a triple of FA cups I reckon, gutted we didn’t win it last season

Not sure what happened to the players last season; the other semi defeat, we were robbed. Still our long time semi-final nemesis are out of the competition.

Swansea won't be a pushover in the next round so I hope Pep starts with a very strong line-up. One of my favourite away trips but seems I'm fated not to go to a Cup game there: had to pull out of going to the last one at the last minute. Last league game there was brilliant: a Merlin masterclass; maybe we can have something similar from our Phil this time round.

Fair challenge, but with THB I’m not sure he has the pace for what we need and his assurance on the ball failed when compared to Garcia. Neither are tall nor pacy, but what differentiated them was the latter’s decision making on the ball. I don’t think Garcia is good enough for us either.

Doyle,he’s decent and always puts a shift in but there was nothing that made me feel we had a gem, just a solid player. I’m not writing him off, just if not now, then when, cos he won’t get chances again until next season now?
To be fair to Garcia and THB, both are still very young men and as we keep hearing, centre halves don't mature till they are in their mid twenties (Dias excepted)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.