Cheltenham Town (A) | Post-Match Thread

What was with all the long balls yesterday? It was like they abandoned the possession play and working the opposition making them chase the ball. Kudos to Cheltenham they went for it, it got towards the last 10 minutes and I thought it wasn’t going to be City’s day. Some of our fringe players should have been chomping at the bit to give Pep a nudge to pick them in the games coming up. Instead it was the form guys from the bench to dig us out of a hole.

I guess the long balls were tactical and in response to something that came out of our analysis of them but we didn't execute them well enough and Pep definitely told the players at HT to keep it short.

A few thoughts. I think we have to come to terms with the fact that Mendy is no longer the Mendy we signed. The injuries have taken their toll and his mindset is not the same as the guy who terrorised us Monaco. It happens with footballers. The contrast seems to be Gundo who thankfully is finally over his injury phobia and playing like he did for Dortmund. Mahrez is just not suited to our way of playing. I think he was bought to score wonder goals in tight matches, especially CL. Only occasional evidence that he can do that. Any chance of a swap back with Leroy? Laporte is a mystery - maybe its why Deschamps doesn't rate him for France. Injured or sulking? Jury's out. I hope he gets it back. Jesus badly needs confidence. I've always thought he would come good but I doubt it now. Peep is trying to play him in different roles but maybe he's just not top level. Phil (mmmm!). Really looking forward to him and Berny taking the lead while KDB out. Garcia - who cares! Doyle and THB - good promising lads. I could go on but I'm starting to sound like I'm writing school reports (which I used to do!).

Not sure what happened to the players last season; the other semi defeat, we were robbed. Still our long time semi-final nemesis are out of the competition.

Swansea won't be a pushover in the next round so I hope Pep starts with a very strong line-up. One of my favourite away trips but seems I'm fated not to go to a Cup game there: had to pull out of going to the last one at the last minute. Last league game there was brilliant: a Merlin masterclass; maybe we can have something similar from our Phil this time round.
Every team we field is a strong team. The one selected yesterday was premier league quality
The Swansea game though falls between liverpool and spurs in the league, so expect a heavily rotated team

BBC will be furiously scouting for an ex-dipper with connections to Swansea for the co-commentator role.

Step forward Saunders, Molby or Joe Allen.

Every team we field is a strong team. The one selected yesterday was premier league quality
The Swansea game though falls between liverpool and spurs in the league, so expect a heavily rotated team
If we do we could go out, Swansea playing some great football right now.

Think thats a little harsh tbh, thought Doyle in particular had a good first half, played some intelligent and accurate passes, and his crossing was only missing a target man in the middle, but thats equally valid whoever puts the ball in. THB did OK without being exceptional, but of the two full backs he was the more solid by some margin
If we had rolling subs I'd bring Doyle on to take corners. They all got past the first defender.

Easier to say now we've won, but that, for the neutral, was a proper cup tie. Sounds harsh, but when you play teams from the lower divisions you need to crush their spirits early on. As their manager said, they could have been behind in 17 seconds (albeit not easy to 'lob' a 6' 7" goalie) and that would've set a different tone to the match. Normally when we play certain teams we're ultra disciplined in avoiding set pieces and corners. The easiest way to do that is usually getting it out of play for a throw in but Cheltenham have the advantage of every throw in, in the final third, offering as big an opportunity for them as a corner. Their 5 corners, plus throw ins, probably equalled 15 goal scoring opportunities which, for a team as well practiced as them, was always likely to pay off at some stage.
When Delap played we used to prefer to give away a corner to a throw-in.

Always tricky games against lower team clubs especially away due to the pitch and environment.
All this noise from bbc etc they gave us a game , they offered nothing apart from a long throw in it was like watching American football if it works for Cheltenham in the league then not a problem with that. We get that first goal which we had chances starting in the first 30 seconds it would have been more comfy.We dictated the game played it our pace and selection gave players who have not played for a while much needed game time with a few youngsters getting a run out. Pep put Dias on just to say you threw one at us you ain't getting another and we turned the screw when needed. Job done next round.

Share the view of Cheltenham that the team was excellent on the pitch and that those connected with the club were classy off it. Thought the post match interview with their manager was excellent - no hint of regret or bitterness but a fully justified pride in his team's performance and the public face his club had shown to the world. It was also good to see that our lads, in particular in Phil Foden's interview but also in the way he left the field with Alfie May, also entered fully into the spirit of the cup and the game.

As for the game I thought we were determined for far too long to show that we were not at all affected by the occasion but were calm and in control. We were trying to play risk free football, and that is NOT the City/Guardiola way. Mistake free yes, risk free no! This did not go so far as to prevent throws in in our half/third and Pep had expressed concern about them during the week. That is why I was surprised that one of the CBs selected against a big Cheltenham team was only 5' 9" tall and it was our failure to win the first header and, I'm afraid to say, Tommy Doyle's failure to follow May's run and attack the ball, which produced their goal.

It was, of course, largely the efforts of young Phil which did so much to fish us out of the mire. Cancelo also played an important part but again Mahrez never (?) beat his fullback and missed a glorious chance, as did Gabby. Ayme was OK as was Mendy but no more. Torres was always making dangerous runs as Murphy pointed out but these were ignored by City's safety first tactics. In short City's covid victims did much to suggest that it takes time to recover fully from this dreadful virus and we should not judge too harshly.

All in all, too close for comfort. Well played Cheltenham.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.