Retiring

My old fella is 58 and have been trying to advise him to do the same, even if it's 8 hours a week or voluntary work. He won't have it though and is on about staying part time at 60 where he is, in a job he hates.

It's crazy staying in a job you hate when you consider you probably spend half your life at work. That means half your life you've been miserable. I know the majority would rather be at home with their feet up but given that isn't really feasible at least try and do something you enjoy.

Totally agree about keeping your mind active and body, my dad retired at 60 from local authority a finance manager, he crown green bowls in summer, so in winter he went on contract work and was pulling in loads of extra cash during the winter months, stupid money, trouble was he was that good, reliable and conscientious they wanted to keep him full time, he refused and carried in fir a few years picking and choosing. Unfortunately age has caught up with him, he’s 76 this year and id say for the past 6/7 years he’s been bad, type two diabetes, early stage Parkinson’s, heart problems etc etc. The biggest thing is his knees, he was due an operation on one which Covid has cancelled twice, this has led to his other knee now been fucked, this in turn has led they think to a femoral hernia!
With no bowling for over a year he just sits in his chair watching tv, the godsend is the football I suppose as he isn’t mobile, but he’s not in a good place, I try to get over to watch City with him but with lockdown restrictions I’ve stopped that, still phone him after every match.
I think what I’m saying is had he worked until 68, he would basically have gone from working for the man to a mess almost overnight, he’s certainly nit enjoying his retirement but he did for the first 8 years or so, doesn’t seem a lot for a lifetime of work does it. I’m all for enjoying your life and living in the now, but it’s amazing how quick the years go and a bit of forethought and saving will hopefully let you enjoy later life as well.

Totally agree about keeping your mind active and body, my dad retired at 60 from local authority a finance manager, he crown green bowls in summer, so in winter he went on contract work and was pulling in loads of extra cash during the winter months, stupid money, trouble was he was that good, reliable and conscientious they wanted to keep him full time, he refused and carried in fir a few years picking and choosing. Unfortunately age has caught up with him, he’s 76 this year and id say for the past 6/7 years he’s been bad, type two diabetes, early stage Parkinson’s, heart problems etc etc. The biggest thing is his knees, he was due an operation on one which Covid has cancelled twice, this has led to his other knee now been fucked, this in turn has led they think to a femoral hernia!
With no bowling for over a year he just sits in his chair watching tv, the godsend is the football I suppose as he isn’t mobile, but he’s not in a good place, I try to get over to watch City with him but with lockdown restrictions I’ve stopped that, still phone him after every match.
I think what I’m saying is had he worked until 68, he would basically have gone from working for the man to a mess almost overnight, he’s certainly nit enjoying his retirement but he did for the first 8 years or so, doesn’t seem a lot for a lifetime of work does it. I’m all for enjoying your life and living in the now, but it’s amazing how quick the years go and a bit of forethought and saving will hopefully let you enjoy later life as well.
Good post, but sorry to hear about your dad.
Covid has a lot to answer for and there are lots of people out there who deny operations and appointments are being routinely cancelled.
Time is finite and the more you get done the better. We made a list of the places to visit but two went by the wayside last spring/summer. I‘ve only got a few years left of skiing and losing one now and lost part of one last year. Need to crack on ASAP.
At least I’m still here to moan about it though.

Another good article on state pension and COPE for those still concerned... basically the COPE figure is not taken off your state pension forecast

Sorry to hear about your dad
That's why I would recommend as soon as you can afford to retire do so
I managed to do so at 60 .
Been on a few cruises .Spend loads of time in the sun at my Holliday home
No stress now have plenty of time to do SFA .
Ive never had a pot to piss in but what I got I manage ok

Another good article on state pension and COPE for those still concerned... basically the COPE figure is not taken off your state pension forecast
I just read that article in full and that is exactly what it does say!

Yep. Making the retirement age 68 was criminal in my view, an appalling way to treat the population. Just so wrong.

Sorry, I should have said that you don’t deduct the COPE figure from the state pension figure quoted.

Thats interesting, and is certainly clearer than the HMG site. So according to that I can factor in an additional £18 a week to my pension planning budget. I'll be retiring a couple of days earlier then :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.