#50 | Eric García - 2020/21 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied this from an article about John Stones in the athletic magazine.
Not too sure what it is telling us really.

What the tables above show, apart from how good Garcia actually is on the ball, is that there’s more to football than the numbers.
It's says Garcia is a good player. And can potentially be great under the right circumstance.

The stats are impressive but it's so much more than the stats, which is often the case with footballers
Personally, I've always liked Garcia. He hasn't had a good season in the games he has played. But his calmness on the ball and ability to read the game are often impeccable.

He's had some bad errors leading to goals this season. That plus wanting to leave has soured many to him. But objectively, he is like Pique at United. Looked average but fit like a glove at Barca. Same can happen for Garcia.

Albeit, unlike Pique, he may be joining a far weaker team. I wish him the best when he leaves. Except for when he plays City.

I thought he was excellent on the ball, two footed, short and long range passing was spot on. But I was far from confident with him handling the long throws into the box.

I like Garcia. I'm okay with him wanting to leave. And since we have 4 CBs now, it's actually a good thing he wants to leave.

But when he plays, he is decent. And he was today.

I thought he was excellent on the ball, two footed, short and long range passing was spot on. But I was far from confident with him handling the long throws into the box.

he looks more like a holding midfielder to me? Seems to passive to be a centre half. Passed it well at times but seems to have not enough physically?

He’s an excellent passer with good vision, genuinely seems comfortable with both feet, he’s calm under pressure and he has a confidence and maturity beyond his years.

I imagine he’ll be a success in the Spanish league with these qualities, and to be honest it’s a no brainer for him to go back to Barcelona given he’s fifth choice over here - and will get a lot more opportunities at his hometown club. Good luck to him - I’d do exactly the same if I was him.

That said, having seen a fair bit of him by now I’m convinced it’s just a case of a bad culture fit for English football with him - his considerable strengths don’t quite cover for his considerable weaknesses, which get too exposed over here.

He’s too lightweight, is small and slight for a CB, and is easily bullied off the ball. He’s way too passive to lead a defence, and he’s also pretty slow, which has been exposed at the highest level against the better teams.

CB is probably our most competitive position right now, and he comes up short against players like Dias, Stones and Laporte - no shame in that - so we’re better off letting him go now. Poor kid’s clearly desperate to go back home.

Last edited:
If Garcia has his heart set on Barca... well, then, reluctantly, so long. So far as I know he's stirred no controversy in our squad - and he's given his best when asked to play.

Good luck Eric in the future... unless, of course, you're playing versus City :-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.