Liam Delap | On loan at Hull City

How did Liverpool get do much for Brewster.
The transfer guy at Liverpool committed daylight robbery.
You use your influence in the media to parrot 'Brewster is the next best thing' 'Best finisher since Fowler' 'Liverpool desperate to keep Brewster'. Then Sheff Utd backed with prem money and stupid management fall over themselves thinking they are signing the golden boy in u21 English football.

Straight out of the Jordan Ibe playbook, I am sure we all remember when we signed Sterling it was 'Ibe the better talent' 'Ibe will bench Sterling for England' and so forth. Enter Eddie Howe and 18m.

Add Solanke to that list also.

He's not as big as I thought he was, which in a way is reassuring. One of my concerns with youth football sometimes is that a player dominates for the primary reason that he's larger and stronger than everyone else.

He's not as big as I thought he was, which in a way is reassuring. One of my concerns with youth football sometimes is that a player dominates for the primary reason that he's larger and stronger than everyone else.
I can't remember where I wrote those but I had a checklist of things to watch out for exciting prospects and that was one of them, dominating through sheer size (Nmecha, Solanke etc).

On Delap, yeah he's a big guy, but he wasn't Solanke big.

Also, his numbers just dwarfs any tall U21 striker I've seen even if they were successful due to their size. And many teams in the U21 league have some big players, Southamptons defenders aren't that different in size to Delap.

Last edited:
I can't remember where I wrote those but I had a checklist of things to watch out for exciting prospects and that was one of them, dominating through sheer size (Nmecha, Solanke etc).

On Delap, yeah he's a big guy, but he wasn't Solanke big.

Also, his numbers just dwarfs any tall U21 striker I've seen even if they were successful due to their size. And many teams in the U21 league have some big players, Southamptons defenders aren't that different in size to Delap.
I'd love to see the checklist if you ever remember it.

I'd love to see the checklist if you ever remember it.
Would have been some post about academy players but I've no idea how to find it.

It wasn't anything of note, from what I remember it was kind of obvious things to look for when you see a youth player in the U21s and what things to watch out for that might not lead me to assuming "Obviously star quality".

1. The big size thing was one of them, as you said, some youth players dominate because they are big, and while they could continue like that in a men's league, it's atleast something that has me on "pause".

2. In the opposite direction is too small. Brahim Diaz and Angel Gomes were the examples I recall where both of those players did very well at academy level, and still well at U21 level, but I always had this "pause" about them because unless they grew to be just a little bigger, I had some doubts about "star quality", not that they can't, just that the chances go against them the smaller they are, these guys are smaller than David Silva mind you.

3. Decision making. I've seen so many youth not fail the first 2 criteria on size, be the greatest dribblers at their level, but then I look at their decision making and have "pause" about them, again, they can still make it at a high level (especially if their technical ability is just super high like Vinicius Junior), but this is just another indicator that makes it harder for me to say these players are nailed on future stars.

Based on these criteria I knew immediately that Jadon Sancho and Phil Foden would be world class players, at 16, they dominated U21 level, not because they were big (and they both grew), but because of sheer technical talent and decision making that you can't teach.

I see alot of similarities in passing the 3 criteria in many of these U21 players, they just showed them a year or two later than Sancho or Foden did which is not that big a deal imo (I just think those 2 have the highest ceiling).

Would have been some post about academy players but I've no idea how to find it.

It wasn't anything of note, from what I remember it was kind of obvious things to look for when you see a youth player in the U21s and what things to watch out for that might not lead me to assuming "Obviously star quality".

1. The big size thing was one of them, as you said, some youth players dominate because they are big, and while they could continue like that in a men's league, it's atleast something that has me on "pause".

2. In the opposite direction is too small. Brahim Diaz and Angel Gomes were the examples I recall where both of those players did very well at academy level, and still well at U21 level, but I always had this "pause" about them because unless they grew to be just a little bigger, I had some doubts about "star quality", not that they can't, just that the chances go against them the smaller they are, these guys are smaller than David Silva mind you.

3. Decision making. I've seen so many youth not fail the first 2 criteria on size, be the greatest dribblers at their level, but then I look at their decision making and have "pause" about them, again, they can still make it at a high level (especially if their technical ability is just super high like Vinicius Junior), but this is just another indicator that makes it harder for me to say these players are nailed on future stars.

Based on these criteria I knew immediately that Jadon Sancho and Phil Foden would be world class players, at 16, they dominated U21 level, not because they were big (and they both grew), but because of sheer technical talent and decision making that you can't teach.

I see alot of similarities in passing the 3 criteria in many of these U21 players, they just showed them a year or two later than Sancho or Foden did which is not that big a deal imo (I just think those 2 have the highest ceiling).
Nice one. Cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.