Electric cars

can everyone stick to petrol/diesel... just until i retire from the oil industry, cheers.
I can assure you petrol / diesel /ethanol added etc etc will be used to power a vehicle from a to b on this planet long after the next pandemic and long after Elon Musk's great great grand children expunge sulphur into the air from their anal orifice even though we will be watching from that Water Vapour infested atmosphere that surrounds the planet.

Electric and hydrogen ( prey tell ) vehicles will have their place but will just be another option to those who want to invest their taxes in another subsidised mode of transport.

Governments will have to shrink significantly in size to survive without fuel excise and the standard of services and hence the standard of living reduce significantly in the redistribution lost.

Domestic/public charger units can have differential rates of electricity pricing, or can be taxed, or EVs can be required to have an annual EV licence.
Loads of ways lost income from liquid fuel duties can be recouped.

Given electric cars represent less than 3% of new car registrations, and given that we have only fleetingly managed to produce 50% of the UK's electricity requirement from renewables (on bright, warm sunny, windy days), its rather difficult to imagine how we are going to charge 30x as many on cold, windless, winter nights. Especially as nuclear power stations take like 30 years to bring on line from initial inception.

In short, there's no ****ing way the 2030 ban is going to stick. It's inevitably going to get moved out.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. This is from the government, last year. I doubt it's changed a lot since then given the pitiful rate of new car registrations in 2020:

So, how many EVs are on UK roads?
Despite the rise in the number of licensed ULEVs* on UK roads, ULEVs still only represent a small proportion of the total number of cars licensed. In 2019 around 58.5% of licensed cars were petrol, 39.1% diesel and 0.8% were either a plug-in-hybrid, battery electric, range-extended electric, or fuel cell electric car.

* ULEV = Ultra Low Emission Vehicle.

How on earth do we expect to get to 100% electric like ever? Until we have nuclear fusion or some other miracle fix, then this is never going to be feasible.

Last edited:
Given electric cars represent less than 3% of new car registrations, and given that we have only fleetingly managed to produce 50% of the UK's electricity requirement from renewables (on bright, warm sunny, windy days), its rather difficult to imagine how we are going to charge 30x as many on cold, windless, winter nights. Especially as nuclear power stations take like 30 years to bring on line from initial inception.

In short, there's no ****ing way the 2030 ban is going to stick. It's inevitably going to get moved out.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. This is from the government, last year. I doubt it's changed a lot since then given the pitiful rate of new car registrations in 2020:

So, how many EVs are on UK roads?
Despite the rise in the number of licensed ULEVs* on UK roads, ULEVs still only represent a small proportion of the total number of cars licensed. In 2019 around 58.5% of licensed cars were petrol, 39.1% diesel and 0.8% were either a plug-in-hybrid, battery electric, range-extended electric, or fuel cell electric car.

* ULEV = Ultra Low Emission Vehicle.

How on earth do we expect to get to 100% electric like ever? Until we have nuclear fusion or some other miracle fix, then this is never going to be feasible.

I thought 2030 was regarding new cars being sold not us all switching our used cars over to electric.

I thought 2030 was regarding new cars being sold not us all switching our used cars over to electric.
Yes, it is. But even so I am skeptical. Until recently, we were running at something like 97% of our current (no pun intended) power generation capacity, teetering on the point of power cuts. And that's with 3% of new cars sold being electric. Wind the clock forward 10 years and with maybe 10x the number of EV's we have on the roads compared to today, and then suddenly ALL new cars being sold having to be electric and I just don't see how we can possibly have the power generation capacity to charge them all. Let alone charge them all overnight when the windfarms and solar farms have gone to sleep.

Last edited:
Stunning in the flesh. How much are they?
Start at around £70k but the middle config looks the best balance of performance/cash at around £85k. I’m looking at leasing 3 years at around £800 pcm......won’t be for a couple years yet as I still have a Tesla leased through work.

Yes, it is. But even so I am skeptical. Until recently, we were running at something like 97% of our current (no pun intended) power generation capacity, teetering on the point of power cuts. And that's with 3% of new cars sold being electric. Wind the clock forward 10 years and with maybe 10x the number of EV's we have on the roads compared to today, and then suddenly ALL new cars being sold having to be electric and I just don't see how we can possibly have the power generation capacity to charge them all. Let alone charge them all overnight when the windfarms and solar farms have gone to sleep.
Elon Musk will find a way (LOL).

They will have one of those pods with a smart card that you can plug in that fall off the back of the horse and carts that leave you behind at the first set of lights that you cease up at.

Better still he will invent a new musk coloured bicycle with five wheels just in case which is good for losing weight.

your grand kids will still be able to drive cars that make plenty of noise if they want to ,just like they will be able to sip a coke with a plastic straw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.