Making an offer on a house - strategy

Never touch the agents recommended solicitors.
Get your own.
Like any trade, get three quotes before choosing.
Would definitely agree with this advice. Agents and solicitors want to keep each other and not necessarily their customers happy. Last 2 times we have remortgaged via a broker the broker sourced a deal which included the lender paying the legals, but initial house purchase legal fees are probably higher than remortgage fees. May be worth exploring if this is something a lender/broker can help with if there is a mortgage?

Last edited:
If i have 150k to spend i don't go looking at 200k houses.
Exactly this. A girl came to view my house, walked in to the living room, said how lovely it was, then asked what it was on the market for I said 250k and she said oh my budget is a lot less than that, 15% less. I asked her why she was wasting her time and my time and showed her the door. She then spent the following week trying to get another appointment to view the house. No chance.

Exactly this. A girl came to view my house, walked in to the living room, said how lovely it was, then asked what it was on the market for I said 250k and she said oh my budget is a lot less than that, 15% less. I asked her why she was wasting her time and my time and showed her the door. She then spent the following week trying to get another appointment to view the house. No chance.
Should have told her that was fine but you'd be taking the central heating and the windows out of the deal.

Why not lol
Stick a cheeky bid in ,they can only tell you to fu*k of ha ha
Joking apart you are correct in you have to be realistic when you are buying a house
It would piss me off if someone wanted 20 grand or more knocked of without justification

Never had any issues with my Estate Agents, Solicitors, conveyancing and financial advisor when buying, in fact they were superb, all linked together in some way too, when I last sold a house the lad dealing with it was brilliant too, so whilst I realise (know) and agree there’s a lot of shitbags out there, there’s still some well worth it, luck of the draw I guess.

That’s not a realistic scenario at all.

You said a few grand cheaper, that’s 50 grand cheaper.

House valuations are all over the show. Someone’s budget could be £150k and the house they want is £155k. If they can stretch to £152.5k why shouldn’t they try their arm and see if they can activate a sale? That’s not being clever or getting one over the seller.

That’s not a realistic scenario at all.

You said a few grand cheaper, that’s 50 grand cheaper.

House valuations are all over the show. Someone’s budget could be £150k and the house they want is £155k. If they can stretch to £152.5k why shouldn’t they try their arm and see if they can activate a sale? That’s not being clever or getting one over the seller.
This scenario is fine by me and not the one i originally slagged off.

Sorry, don't understand the mentality on here.

The price a house is up for sale for is not the value of a house, it's how much the estate agent/owner thinks they can screw the potential buyer for. If people don't want to deal with chancers offering derisory offers, advertise the house as 'offers over'

People will try and knock anything up to 20% off. Why shouldn't they. The value of a house (or anything for that matter) is only what a buyer is willing to pay, not what the greasy oik with a clipboard says it's worth.

Reactions: ell
Sorry, don't understand the mentality on here.

The price a house is up for sale for is not the value of a house, it's how much the estate agent/owner thinks they can screw the potential buyer for. If people don't want to deal with chancers offering derisory offers, advertise the house as 'offers over'

People will try and knock anything up to 20% off. Why shouldn't they. The value of a house (or anything for that matter) is only what a buyer is willing to pay, not what the greasy oik with a clipboard says it's worth.
The value of the house is what the seller is willing to sell it for, its completely irrelevant what some one is willing to pay as if that not what the seller values it at it will never sell.

Same goes for anything if city value KDB at £250m and 10 clubs bid £100m, he doesn't get sold as his value is £250m. If I walk into a shop and see a 2 grand TV but I think its only worth £1500 I can't buy it as its value is 2 grand the buyers opinion is irrelevant if it doesn't match the Sellers.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.