The Kompany, Silva and Aguero Statues

Now... Don't get me wrong, I think these guys have been the best players of our greatest era, but I also think the likes of Bell (I know he has a stand), Lee & Summerbee, or Trautmann, Doherty and Eric Brook to name but a few would equally be as deserving of a statue.

I think the club could do more to celebrate our rich history around the Etihad rather than just the pictures they currently have and really celebrate it, putting paid to all the idiots who dismiss it. There is more to be reflected of Manchester City FC than the modern era.

I expect pelters for this opinion but it's exactly that, just mine. I'm not for one moment saying these guys don't deserve a statue, they 100% do and I look forward to it going up, they are quite possibly the greatest to wear our shirt.

Be interested for @Gary James opinion this.

Seems a bit daft and populist policy that won't stand the test of time.

Give it 25 years and see how people feel about it. Any player who wants a statue shouldn't be allowed one, plus it would be frowned upon in the UAE so why have such a policy here?

Now... Don't get me wrong, I think these guys have been the best players of our greatest era, but I also think the likes of Bell (I know he has a stand), Lee & Summerbee, or Trautmann, Doherty and Eric Brook to name but a few would equally be as deserving of a statue.

I think the club could do more to celebrate our rich history around the Etihad rather than just the pictures they currently have and really celebrate it, putting paid to all the idiots who dismiss it. There is more to be reflected of Manchester City FC than the modern era.

I expect pelters for this opinion but it's exactly that, just mine. I'm not for one moment saying these guys don't deserve a statue, they 100% do and I look forward to it going up, they are quite possibly the greatest to wear our shirt.

Your spot on

I don’t think your argument is a daft one, though I do disagree, but only because of the where do you draw the line argument. I don’t want to be bumping into one every 5 minutes and it devalues the best ones.

Silva Kompany and Sergio should be the three if we are doing statues now. 93.20 plus Centurions plus Fourmidables.

The only thing is if KDB and the boys win a CL then it’s hard to argue against them too!

One on each side of the stadium with a space for a future icon on the fourth. For me Aguero one has to be him with his shirt swirling after that goal, Vinny sliding on his knees and Silva I dont really know.
QPR away 2011-12 for Silva
United at home 2011-12 for Kompany
Agüeroooooo! for Agüero

I think you’re spot on. City weren’t formed in 2008.

Oh, you’ve asked so here is my view....

First of all without a doubt Aguero is a legend (I've written the following which gives my views on the use of ‘legend’ too. It's free for anyone to read: https://gjfootballarchive.com/2021/03/30/aguerooooooooooooooo/ ) and we’ve been blessed with many others in recent years BUT we have also got a whole back catalogue of true legends (and I don’t mean cult heroes - that’s something else - I mean true giants of the game, not only for us but when compared to their peers).

If I had my way I’d have a whole series of statues lined up on either side of the road that leads to the main entrance. Top of my head would be Kompany, Silva, Aguero of course but also Meredith, Swift, Trautmann, Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Oakes... I’m sure others would be suggested and deserving but these were colossal figures in our history for various reasons. Then there are managers.

Beyond that I’d develop a Hollywood style series of paving stones/squares around the stadium listing all the other players people often think of as legends, I.e. cult heroes, record breakers, major goal scorers, players featuring in iconic moments. I don’t need to list them here because the beauty of doing Hollywood style stars is that you can feature almost every figure over time and turn each unveiling into an event.

A lot of people have talked about naming stands after players and, to be honest, this is something I’m against. I’ve always felt that you limit yourself by naming stands to four major legends. Had we done that in the past we may we’ll have stands named after Meredith, Cowan, Brook and Johnson - no disrespect to those players but what do you do when you then get a bigger legend? It becomes a minefield and some clubs have demolished or renamed stands named after legends.

The best way to remember a club’s past and allow space for future heroes is to build statues, mosaics, Hollywood style stars etc.

I think we should take some space near the main stadium and create a 'Legends Yard'. A place to stand, stare and remember. And, most importantly, with space for the next generation of legends !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.