#20 | Bernardo Silva - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing he hasn’t got is pace. It’s very difficult to play out wide when one footed and without a turn of pace. He’ll graft as always and do a job out there but is completely wasted and not a big goal scorer. He’s shown how good he can be when given an extended run in midfield.

But then what do we do with De Bruyne and Gundogan, who are both far more productive?

If we had a Haaland up front then we could afford not to have someone like Gundo, but until then we really need their goals and assists.

The only ways to fit all 3 of them (Gundogan, Bernie, KdB) AND a striker like Haaland is to

1) Play him as a winger, but I think that neutralizes some of his strengths and Mahrez is better here, so I don't like this option.

2) Play him as a DM, but I think Rodri is better here due to his aerial presence and physicality.

3) Play 3421, and pair him with Rodri, basically this means he takes Cancelo's role when he plays next to Rodri. We have actually seen this in the Fulham game when Pep played Jesus, Aguero, Ferran up top, with Rodri and Bernie in the midfield. This path means we lose Cancelo's creativity, but is better than previous 2 imo.

Otherwise, false 9 is the only way to accomodate all 3, but then that means no Haaland.

Luckily rotation has to happen anyways, so I don't think its a big deal.

The only ways to fit all 3 of them (Gundogan, Bernie, KdB) AND a striker like Haaland is to

1) Play him as a winger, but I think that neutralizes some of his strengths and Mahrez is better here, so I don't like this option.

2) Play him as a DM, but I think Rodri is better here due to his aerial presence and physicality.

3) Play 3421, and pair him with Rodri, basically this means he takes Cancelo's role when he plays next to Rodri. We have actually seen this in the Fulham game when Pep played Jesus, Aguero, Ferran up top, with Rodri and Bernie in the midfield. This path means we lose Cancelo's creativity, but is better than previous 2 imo.

Otherwise, false 9 is the only way to accomodate all 3, but then that means no Haaland.

I would play KDB as one of the front 3. He can be more effective there and when he gives the ball away (which he often does), it would be in a less dangerous position against the counter attack. With Rodri, Gundogan and Bernardo in CM, we're also more solid.

Win, win.

I think you've covered the bases nicely here, but you've forgotten the one big, bald elephant in the room. Pep Guardiola.

Haaland at DM it is ;)

I would play KDB as one of the front 3. He can be more effective there and when he gives the ball away (which he often does), it would be in a less dangerous position against the counter attack. With Rodri, Gundogan and Bernardo in CM, we're also more solid.

Win, win.
I also like KdB in the false 9 spot, with those 3 behind him, but there is no doubt that I think the club want Haaland and Pep will adapt our players around him in some manner.

At the very least, false 9 could be re-used in some games where maybe having Haaland isn't effective.

I also like KdB in the false 9 spot, with those 3 behind him, but there is no doubt that I think the club want Haaland and Pep will adapt our players around him in some manner.

At the very least, false 9 could be re-used in some games where maybe having Haaland isn't effective.

KDB right, Grealish left. Haaland through the middle.

Perhaps not but I think that will be his best position. His crossing ability is second to none and I think he would be more dangerous there than in CM.
There's no reason for Kev to be stuck on the wing. Exclusively out wide he wouldn't be able to beat his man. The opposition would just mark him tight to not let him get a cross off. Through patterns of play he plays crosses in and creates width anyway.

As far as Bernie goes I was skeptical at first of him playing in the midfield. I didn't think he had the passing ability to play there like Gundogan or even Silva. He's more a dribbler and a shooter. Credit to him though. He does it slightly different and rarely gives the ball away. I notice that Pep pairs him up with Cancelo a lot. Cancelo is actually better at creating and playing through balls, but Bernie does a lot of defensive work and counter pressing. It kind of helps free Cancelo in a way.

Largely ineffective tonight and disappointing performance. He is such a talented player but in these big games he poses little or no threat. He is neat and tidy but compared to KDB and now Foden we very rarely see him contribute with assists and goals any more. Sadly, he is just not doing it and, for me, should not start in the second leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.