Annual Report - 2019/20

crazy how reliant clubs are for getting in the champions league ,us included , the consequences of missing out financially are massive .
Not dissimilar to the financial consequences of being promoted or not from the Championship to the PL. Hence the third place play-off final being dubbed the most lucrative match in world football.

Imagine if we had not been successful at CAS?

The loss of that income alone would have not made the books a pretty sight, going forward?

Perhaps that is why our accounts this year were delayed until the outcome, as I recall previously they were usually released around November period?
Then along came Covid!!

If City's accounts are perhaps a little pessimistic for good financial reasons, I wonder how many of the top clubs have weathered the vastly reduced income streams?

Even if FFP regs are slackened would all existing owners want to cover losses especially those with problem businesses outside of football.?

As has been previously mentioned, it is likely that MCFC have used this unique period to drag in and 'burn' expenditure, especially whilst FFP regs are suspended.
Despite the drop in overall revenue, due to the reduction of broadcasting and matchday, other revenue has held up.
Also, apparently MCFC have deferred some income from 19/20 to 20/21, at the same time some expenditure to staff for 20/21 has been included in 19/20 accs.
Sane's transfer has not been included in 19/20.
All in all I think MCFC have chosen the opportunity to go loss making.
Khaldoon has said that he expects to be back in black, there speaks a man who knows exactly what's happening.

We always used the phrase ‘kitchen sinking’. If you are going to have a bad year anyway, then charge as much as possible to that period. It makes it so much easier to have a good following year or even years.

It could be partially to do with paying out bonuses (both to our players And clubs whose players we bought) based on the success of winning 4 domestic trophies at the start of that reporting period. And i've said this before, but the cost of the CAS case and all the fees associated must be included in this. Fair enough it doesnt het counted onto FFP calcs, but it still gets accounted for in overall books.
Whether it is in the wages themselves or 'other external charged' as pointed out by @Gaudion M earlier, it most likely makes up a chunk of the overall loss figure.
That's a good point. At the year end we were still in the FA Cup and CL, and still could have theoretically won the league (albeit that was unlikely). So it's entirely possible that we paid, or at least provided for, bonuses for progressing in or even winning those competitions.

NO Football club is in excellent shape, including our selves, we are in the middle of a worldwide crisis which is destroying finances everywhere.

Football and a lot of other business have to wake up and grasp reality.
City are basically sound financially. We have been run on a sustainable basis for several years now. But covid has put a big hole in income and it will take a few years to get fully on track. Khaldoon mentioned now was not the time to make major alterations to the stadium and we will be reluctant to make big signings.
No cause for major concern, just caution needed.
And we have a backstop in Mansour and in CFG.
The clubs to worry about are those with major debt and smaller clubs who run a hand to mouth existence.

That's a good point. At the year end we were still in the FA Cup and CL, and still could have theoretically won the league (albeit that was unlikely). So it's entirely possible that we paid, or at least provided for, bonuses for progressing in or even winning those competitions.

I was meaning our 2019 trophy haul, which came in June, and any following bonuses would have presumably caught in this period that runs june to june.
Either way, the success bring with it a level of bonuses.

Just for clarity, unless someone an correct me, my understanding is that FFP has not been relaxed, scrapped, suspended, diminished, diluted, paused, abolished, or any such term.

The limits have not been changed, nothing has reduced or paused. The only change so far is that the repirting period has been increased to 4 years instead of 3 to give clubs time to claw back profits when things resume. A loss is still a loss though. So effectively the 20 and then the 21 reporting period will be looked as one, with the loss increased pro rata over the two years.

There is talk of allowing owners to cover any losses as an emergency measure for 20, but ive not seem more confirmation of that.

Whatever version of 'help' uefa have planned out for clubs, i damn well bet the club know the possible outcomes and are happy to report the books in line with that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.