Electric cars

You know, I've still not got a clue what you're waffling on about.
OK, Boomer! :-)

You paint a Lowry picture of life in England. Dour and stuck in the past. I don’t think it is like that for many people outside of Victorian urban areas, which is why I referenced a previous four period in British life... the persistent recession of the mid-70s that set up a hard life for many.

I’m saying there’s a future waiting to be unveiled, so get to it!

OK, Boomer! :-)

You paint a Lowry picture of life in England. Dour and stuck in the past. I don’t think it is like that for many people outside of Victorian urban areas, which is why I referenced a previous four period in British life... the persistent recession of the mid-70s that set up a hard life for many.

I’m saying there’s a future waiting to be unveiled, so get to it!

Nah he's being realistic. A big percentage of housing in the UK doesn't have off street parking so the whole idea of charging at home is fruitless for many.

Good post thanks. It's interesting to hear about the second hand market side of things.

I didn't include range in my worst things about EVs because I thought the vast majority of journeys would be achievable. In the UK I suspect that percentage would be even higher due to the smaller size of the UK.

Still what happens if you want a last minute trip to the seaside 150 miles away or one of your family gets ill on the other side of the country?Would be a ball ache knowing you'd either have to either A - Take ages to get there by charging on the way plus all the planning that would involve. B - Get shafted having to rent a car last minute. Cars without the freedom to go anywhere, anytime just seems like a bit of an alien concept.

When you consider that lot above then suddenly the price of an EV still looks way too high for the majority of people. You can get a nice second hand car for £13k in the UK (even relatively new premium brands like Audi, BMW etc) for the equivalent of that cheapest EV.
Most people with EV's get into them in the morning fully charged so 150 miles wouldn't be a problem. In some rural areas of the world getting gas would be harder than finding a charge point, as everyone has a socket that can be used to charge an EV, not everyone has a petrol station within easy reach.

Most people with EV's get into them in the morning fully charged so 150 miles wouldn't be a problem. In some rural areas of the world getting gas would be harder than finding a charge point, as everyone has a socket that can be used to charge an EV, not everyone has a petrol station within easy reach.

Yeah but if you read his post you get the actual figures for the cheaper EVs where the range is much, much lower. "50 miles on a good day and 30 miles on a harsh winter day."

The 150 miles is probably closer to what the expensive EVs like the Tesla's, Porsche's, Polestars etc get.

You're much more likely to be near a petrol station than a charger in the countryside of the UK.

Yeah but if you read his post you get the actual figures for the cheaper EVs where the range is much, much lower. "50 miles on a good day and 30 miles on a harsh winter day."

The 150 miles is probably closer to what the expensive EVs like the Tesla's, Porsche's, Polestars etc get.

You're much more likely to be near a petrol station than a charger in the countryside of the UK.

More like 225 miles that I get, range really has never been an issue as charge at home or work. Longer journey one 40 min top up whilst having a coffee puts another 100 miles in.

More like 225 miles that I get, range really has never been an issue as charge at home or work. Longer journey one 40 min top up whilst having a coffee puts another 100 miles in.

What car do you have? Must be expensive.

Also not many people can charge their cars at work. That's a real rarity.

Around 35% of households in the UK don't have a driveway. Even with this figure offset by work place charging, using the supermarket ones whilst shopping and maybe lampposts where 3 or 4 can hook up to each one it still leaves a lot of people unable to charge their cars overnight.

There's around 228 charging points in Manchester at the moment...73 locations. Hardly enough. Every other City is just as bad, let alone towns and villages. There's only 24 in the town near me including a big fat none at the local train station. Which is plainly mad. If the trend continues it's the perfect place. There's over a hundred car parking slots.

As with anything in this country, infrastructure is lagging far far behind.

People are under this misconception you need a charger. I charge mine every night via a normal socket. Everyone has access to a normal socket even via an extension cable

People are under this misconception you need a charger. I charge mine every night via a normal socket. Everyone has access to a normal socket even via an extension cable
NO THEY BLOODY DON’T!
How many times do you need telling?
Terraced streets with no parking, high rise flats, houses with no drives, etc, etc.
Are you really advocating trailing a lead across the pavement through an open window!
FFS.

What car do you have? Must be expensive.

Also not many people can charge their cars at work. That's a real rarity.

I pace and yes I’m lucky that I also installed one at work but even if I didn’t have one there the one at home would suffice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.